For new Clio accounts, the default Matter number and naming scheme is:
[Matter number] - [Client summary name]
- Matter numbers start at 00001
- Client summary name refers to the Last Name for person clients or Company Name for comapny clients.
If you would like to change the Matter number/naming scheme, you can do so in your Practice Settings.
Go to the Clio Settings panel and click on "Practice" in the Clio Settings column. On the Practice Settings screen, click on the "Matter Numbering" sub-tab.
- Next topic: Custom Matter Numbering
To change your Matter number/naming scheme, start by selecting one of the templates then customize as desired.
To remove a field in a template, click on the X at the right of the field.
New fields can be added to the end of what is currently showing in the customization area.
To add a field to your number/naming scheme:
- Click in the customization box
- Select the field you want to add from the "Customize with additional fields" dropdown
- Select additional options if provided
- Click "Add"
Finally, you can type static text directly into the customization area if you want that text to appear in all of your Matter names. Hit "Enter" on your keyboard once typing in your custom text.
Applying the Matter Number and Naming Scheme
Once you have set up your Matter name, you can choose to update the Matter name and number for any existing Matters.
- Check the "Update all existing Matters to reflect new numbering scheme" box
- Click the "Update Settings" button
- Next topic: Manual Matter Numbering
If you would prefer to specify the Matter number/naming scheme manually on each Matter that you create:
- Select the "Manual for each Matter" template
- Click "Update Settings"
You can now enter in the desired Matter name when ever you create a new Matter or edit an existing Matter.
- Next topic: Matter Number Override
You can change the number of a specific Matter by opening the "Matter Number Override" box.
Enter the Matter name into the "Matter" field and the new number in the "New Matter Number" field. Click "Update".
Next Chapter topic: Task Lists