Some firms use Activity Categories to ensure a consistent description of time entries across the firm. Others use it as a shortcut - you can save text in the Activity Categories and when you enter in a time entry it will populate this text for you. You can also share these Activity Categories so that everyone in your firm can use them when entering time.
- Go to Activities then Activity Categories
- Then click on Add Activity Category:
- Next, name your Activity Category. This "title" will both help you identify it in a list and also can pull into the text of a bill:
- Then, choose the "Billing Method". The Billing Method is what the Time Entry will default to when this Activity Category is selected:
User Default Rate: The rate will automatically default to each User's Default Rate which was set per the instructions here.
Flat Rate: You can create a Flat Rate Activity Categories to use in the creation of a Flat Fee Matter, or for those types of activities that have a flat service fee. Note that Activity Categories with a flat rate will override all other rates.
- Lastly you will choose the Permission groups. If you choose to not enter a name, then the Activity Category will default to be usable by everyone. You can add as many individuals or groups as you would like. To start searching, just click into the box or start typing in the name of the group or User. For more information on groups, click here.
Now this Activity Category will be available to be chosen when creating a new time entry.
Note: Activity Categories with a custom hourly rate will be written over by a Contact or Matter custom rate. Activity Categories with a flat rate, however, will override all other rates.
Depending on what you have chosen above during the Activity Categories creation or editing process, you will see the Activity Categories you created in the list:
You can choose which Activity Category is the default for yourself, ensuring that the most often used Category is the first that appears when adding a Time Entry. Note that Activity Category defaults are set on a per user basis, not account wide.
You can toggle which Activity Category is the default by clicking the triangle beside "Edit" and click Toggle My Default.
Once an Activity Category has been made Default, it will say so next to the name of the activity.
Clicking Toggle My Default again will clear that Default. Please note that if you have no Activity Categories set as Default, then the 'No category' option will be used as the Default.
Additionally, you can only select Activity Categories that you are listed as having access to under the Groups column as a Default.
To edit an Activity Category, click the "Edit" quick link. This will allow you to change any element of the Activity.
When you make changes to an Activity Category that already appears on bills that have been generated for your clients, those line items on the bill will remain unchanged.
When you make changes to an Activity Category that has been associated with Time Entries that have not yet been billed, only the description text will be updated on the existing Time Entries. If you need existing Time Entries to be updated as well, you will need to edit the existing Time Entries directly.