- Record a Payment that exceeds the amount due on the Bill in New Clio
- I Can't Apply an Overpayment on an invoice
- Can I record an overpayment on a bill?
- How to apply a payment that is higher than the invoice total
- Hold a credit for a client after an over payment
- Clio Manage
- You can only overpay invoices from the Payment field beside the Matter line. If you attempt to enter the amount in the Payment Amount field beside Total Open Balance, you will receive the error "Payment amount cannot exceed total balance".
- The additional amount will remain within the Operating Account as a balance for the client.
- However, the overpayment won't be displayed in the Statement of Accounts section of the bill
- You are not able to record an overpayment from the Trust Account
- Click Record Payment for the Bill in question
- Select the payment Source
- Enter the total Payment amount in the Payment field beside the Matter Name
- Click Record Payment
Once the payment has been recorded and the remainder of the overpayment is moved to the Operating Account, you would likely want to add the funds to the Trust Account for the Client or Matter. To do this you can follow these steps below:
- Go to Transactions tab in the Matter
- Click the Transfer Funds button on the top right
- Click Between Bank Accounts
- Enter in the amount in the Operating Account from the overpayment
- Record Transfer
- You will now be able to Apply Trust to a future bill using the funds in their Trust Account following these steps here.