The Accounts within Clio are meant to mirror the accounts you have at your financial institution. Therefore, we suggest that you create the same number and types of accounts within Clio to provide genuine utility as an audit and reconciliation tool.
To add a new bank account in Clio, go to the "Accounts" tab and click "New".
- Account Type: Choose the Account Type (Operating or Trust).
Exercise care when selecting the account type, as this option will determine how funds are both managed and reported - all non-trust accounts should be designated as "Operating". Once transactions have been applied to an account, changing the account type is not recommended as this may cause inaccurate information to be reported in client ledgers. If you require a type change on an account, please contact the Support Team.
- Account Name: Name your account so that you can identify it in a list, eg: IOLTA Account
- Optional account information: The bank account information fields are optional. This account in Clio is not linked to your physical bank account. Some users like to enter this information to have it handy.
- Opening Balance: We do not suggest that you create an Trust account with a balance total, but instead you should leave the opening balance at $0.00 and then link transactions to increase the balance. For instructions on bringing your Trust Balances to Clio, see the "Bringing over previous Trust Client Balances into Clio" article .
- Default Account: The "Default Account" means that when you open your Transactions tab this account will be the first one in the dropdown, or the "default".
- LawPay Account: If you will be receiving funds into this account via Clio Payments, select the connected LawPay account that this account should be matched to.
From the accounts tab, click the edit link under the appropriate account among your list of accounts. This will take you to the account edit form where you can modify and apply any necessary changes. Please note that once transactions have been applied to an account, changing the account type is not recommended as this may cause imbalances to be reported in client ledgers.
From the "Accounts" link at the top of the page, click the delete link underneath the appropriate account among your list of accounts. When deleting an account you will be asked to confirm or reject the action by respectively clicking "OK" or "Cancel" in the dialogue box that appears.
Please note that deleting accounts is not recommended as this action will almost certainly cause errors to be reported in client balances.