Clio’s contact import engine natively interprets two of the most popular contact export formats – CSV and vCard. Users of most first-class contact management applications (Outlook etc.) are, in most cases, able to export their list of contacts into one of these major formats.
Exporting Gmail contacts:
- Sign in to Gmail.
- Click Contacts along the side of any Gmail page.
- Click the "More" button at the top of your Contacts list, then choose "Export".
- Choose whether to export all contacts or only one group.
- Select the "Outlook CSV format" option.
- Click Export. This will create the Contacts .CSV file.
- Select a location to save your file, and click 'OK.
Importing Contacts to Clio:
- Once you've retrieved your CSV and ICAL files from Google, you can import them to Clio via the following:
- For North American accounts click: https://app.clio.com/imports - For European accounts click: https://app.clio.eu/imports
- Choose Import from Outlook CSV format
- Choose and upload the file.
- Click Upload.
Please note, if you are using Clio Sync you can sync your contacts with Clio and do not have to follow these steps.
Please note that these steps are based on 2010 Office 365. The steps may vary depending on your Outlook version. Please visit Microsoft Office's Support site for exporting instructions for your Outlook version.
- In Outlook, on the File menu, click Open & Export.
- Click Import/Export
- From the Import and Export Wizard, choose "Export to a File"
- Select "Comma Separated Values" file type, and then click Next.
- In the folder list, click the "Contacts" folder, and then click Next.
- Browse to the folder where you want to save the contacts as a .csv file.
- Type a name for the exported file, and then click OK.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
- Now go to https://app.clio.com/imports for North American accounts or https://app.clio.eu/imports for European accounts and import your contacts to Clio.
For Mac address book users, Apple provides the following instructions for exporting contacts to vCard:
Select All or a group in the Group column, or select one or more contacts in the Name column:
Choose File > Export > Export Group vCard or if you selected only one contact, Export vCard:
Enter a name for the file, select a location to export it to, and then click Save:
Now go to https://app.clio.com/imports for North American accounts or https://app.clio.eu/imports for European accounts and import your contacts to Clio. Once complete, you will find the Contacts in your Contacts list.
In the event that you wish to import your contacts using a format or application not among those detailed above, please contact us for further assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 1-888-858-CLIO.
In the event of a failed or incomplete contact import, you are optionally allowed to undo the most recent import by clicking “Undo” following the contact import attempt. If you experience a contact import failure and would like to receive some technical assistance, please contact us at email@example.com or by phone at 1-888-858-CLIO.