Clio's Credit Note feature allows you two ways to write off amounts the client owes on approved bills and additionally gives you the ability to waive interest amounts owing:
To add a Credit Note to an approved bill from the "Receive Payment" screen, please follow these steps:
1. Open the bill on your screen.
2. Click on "Receive Payment" and view the payment options for the bill.3. For the item you want to apply a Credit Note for (either the balance of the bill or the Interest), enter a $0 in the "Payment" field.
4. Next, click your mouse anywhere on this screen. Once you do you will see the ability to check off "Write off remaining". 5. Receive Payment.
Now, to view the Credit Note you just applied, go to the Credit Notes tab where you will see the item.If you view your bill, you will see the Credit Note applied.
To add a Credit Note to a bill from the "Credit Notes" sub-tab, please follow these steps:
- Open the bill on your screen.
- Click on "Credit Notes" sub-tab.
- Click on "Add".
- The date will prepopulate with today's date, but can be changed by clicking into the field and choosing the appropriate date.
- Enter an optional description for the credit note, if desired.
- Enter the amount of the Credit.
- Click "Save Credit Note.
Now you will see the Credit Note appear.
If you view your bill, you will see the Credit Note applied.
If alternately you would like to apply discounts to your invoices, review our Support Article on "Applying Discounts to Bills". It is not recommended to apply a 100% discount.
More can be read about reporting on Write-Downs, Discounts, and Credit Notes in the Comparing Activity and Billing Reports Support Article.