Before you create a matter, determine how you want your matters numbered. To review the steps, click HERE.
Steps on Creating a Matter
- To create a new Matter, click on the main "Matters" tab or the "Matters" sub-tab of a Contact card, then click on the "New" button.
- Matter Client: Each matter must have a client. If the person already exists, start to type their name and choose them from the dropdown. Otherwise, click on "Add a Person" or "Add a Company" to simultaneously create a new contact card and make them a client.
- Description: Enter the Description of the file (the title, ie: Jones vs. Smith or Purchase of 123 Main Street).
- Pending / Open / Close Date: Enter the Open/Pending/Closed date. Every file has a status of one of these three choices. By default when you open a file it is Open and the Open date will be shown. For more information on Pending files, click HERE.
- Status: Related to the step above, this is where you determine the file Status.
- Practice Area: You can assign a Practice Area to a matter. There are several pre-populated within Clio and you can add others as well by clicking on the link (this action will boot you out of the Create Matter form). For more information on Practice Areas, visit the Support Article HERE.
- Client Reference Number: The client reference number field is intended to facilitate the storage of any tracking details the client may impose on you such as an internal reference number or PO. Populating this field is optional.
Additionally, you can display the Client Reference Number on your clients' invoices. For more information, click HERE.
- Responsible Attorney: You can optionally assign one Responsible Attorney per matter. This individual must have an attorney subscription class, not a non-attorney.
Originating Attorney: This is the user that brought the Matter to the firm.
- Location: The location field is intended to facilitate the storage of locations important to a matter such as the court where trial is set to occur. Populating this field is optional.
- Assign Task Lists: Select a list of Task templates to assign to this Matter.
Custom Fields*: Administrators in your account can set up Custom Fields that can be used to customize your Clio Matter Details.
- Statute of Limitations: You can determine a Statute of Limitations for your matter and this date will appear in your calendar as well in the calendar named after same. For more information, please click HERE.
- Matter Permissions: You can put a firewall around a matter so only you or a group of people can see the matter information. For more information on Matter Permissions, please click HERE.
- Matter Billing:
- Billable: By default all new files are "Billable". This means that when you add time entries they show up in the New Bill page. If you uncheck this box, you can enter in time and expenses and they do not appear in the New Bill page.
- Custom Rates: You can determine custom rates to charge the client hourly or on a flat fee basis. For more information, click HERE.
- Additionally, subscribers to our Loyalty, Boutique, and Elite plans can specify a contingency fee. For more information, click HERE.
When you are finished, click "Save New Matter".