Trust transactions can be added at either the client level or the Matter level.
Client Level Funds
Trust funds added to the client's Contact card can be used to pay bills for any of that client's Matters.
Matter Level Funds
Trust funds added to a particular Matter can only be used to pay bills for that specific Matter.
Adding funds from the Matter level will make them available to be applied only to the specific Matter's invoices.
- Go to the Matter card of the correct file
- Click on "Transactions"
- Choose the appropriate Ledger from the drop-down
- Choose "Add":
- Enter in the details of the transaction in the Record Transaction tab:
- Account: The ledger account to apply the funds to;
- Amount: Enter the amount received. (If needing to return unused funds to the client enter the amount with a negative symbol ie: -500)
- Date: When you received the funds
- Source/Recipient: (optional) Who you received the funds from (source) or who are you giving them to (recipient).
- Type*: (optional) How the funds were received or how you are sending the funds (ie: check, credit card, cash, money order, Paypal, etc.).
- Currency: (optional) When receiving funds other than your current default currency (ie: euros, pesos, pounds, etc).
- Exchange rate: (optional) Goes with Currency, enter the exchange rate
- Description*: (optional) The reason you received the funds. You can be as brief or detailed as you like.
- Cheque or Reference: (optional) Helpful to track when consolidating with your bank statements.
As you are in the Matter, the Client name and Matter number will already be linked to the transaction.
* Type and Description data will display on invoices where you are showing Client Account Details. For details, see the "Customize your Bills" article.
- Record transaction.
Once the transaction has been successfully applied it will update the client ledger appropriately and the funds will optionally become available as a source of funds from which invoice payments can be received (drawn down against).
According to most trust accounting rules, funds which have not been "earned" by way of work having been completed on behalf of the client or otherwise, must be held in the trust account and transferred into an operating account only once an invoice has been issued.
Adding funds specifically to the Contact level makes them available to be applied across any of your Matters' invoices. Inside your Contact card you will see a Transactions sub-tab as you would see within a Matter.
Adding funds to the Contact level follows the same steps as for the Matter. However, if when logging the Transaction from the Contact level you wish the item to be Matter Specific, simply list a Matter number in the Matter field of the New Transaction window.
You can also add funds from the Accounts screen. To do so:
- Go to "Accounts" and then click into the appropriate ledger
- Click on "Add":
- Add the Transaction as described above for the matter view and take care to ensure you link the appropriate client and matter. If you enter the client first and then click on the matter field you will get appropriate matters to choose from.
Click the edit link under the appropriate transaction within an Account. This will reveal the transaction edit form where you can modify and apply any necessary changes:
Click the delete link underneath the appropriate transaction within your list of transactions. When deleting an item you will be asked to confirm or reject the action by respectively clicking "OK" or "Cancel" in the dialogue box that appears.
Note: Transactions that have been created automatically from payments made on Trust Requests cannot be edited or deleted.