Before you create a bill, you may want to set up your Bill Themes, which gives you over 150 different customization options.
There are two different processes for generating a bill in Clio:
- You can generate bills from the Bills section of Clio for Matters that already have associated time and expense entries as detailed below.
- You can create a one-off "Quick Bill" to add Matter, Contact, time and/or expense information on the fly. For full instructions, click here.
Click on "Bills" at the top of your Clio screen. Go to "Billable Clients":
In this screen all matters where there is billable activity are listed (meaning you will have to have entered time and/or expenses in order for the matter to show up here).
To find a specific Bill you are looking for OR to restrict the time/expenses to a date range, click on "Filter":
Here you will see that you can filter by Client, Matter, Responsible Attorney, Originating Attorney, or by any of your Matter Custom Fields. You can also filter by Activities' Date Range:
Once you have found the Bill(s) you want to generate, click the boxes to the left of each one to select it.
If you would like to select all of the Billable Clients in the filtered list, check the box beside "Select All".
To generate Bills for all of the selected Clients, click the "Generate" button.
You will now see the "Generate Bills" screen.
- Choose the "Issue Date" of the bill. This date will default to today and will apply to all bills you are generating currently.
- You additionally have the option of changing the bills "Due Date" to override the grace period specified in the Payment Profile.
- If you change the "Issue Date" but would still like the "Due Date" to respect the grace period specified in the Payment Profile, ensure that "Use contacts' grace period to calculate due date" is checked.
- "Detail level" dialog presents users with three possible billing options: Aggregate, Summary and All-detail. The difference between these various methods is detailed as follows:
- Aggregate: this method condenses all activities in association with a particular bill into a single line-item annotated by default as "Services rendered". For conciseness and simplicity, this billing option is ideal.
- Summary: this method condenses all similar activities (as determined by activity description) in association with a particular bill into a several aggregate line-items. This billing option is appropriate when it is desired to provide clients with a distribution of time allocated by class, but where conciseness and simplicity is still preferred.
- All-detail: this method displays each activity in association with a particular bill as a separate line item. This billing option is preferred by most practitioners, and is ideal for providing clients with the greatest amount of bill precision and transparency.
Lastly, you can choose options such as combining multiple matters for a given client into a single bill and applying tax to the bills you are generating.
When you are ready, click on "Generate Bills":
You will now find all Bills generated under "Drafts". For information on working with your client's addresses on bills, see this support article.
Once your invoices are generated, you may wish to search for a specific client's bills, or a certain matter's bills. To do so, click "Filter" on the right hand side of your Bills page.
Once you have selected Filter, you will see a few options to choose from.
- Client: In the Client field you can type the name of the Client you wish to search by. When typing two or more characters you will see a drop-down list of potential matches.
- Matter: In the Matter field you can type the Matter Number for the case you wish to filter by. If you have included your Matter Description in your Matter Numbering scheme, you can search by Description. When typing two or more characters you will see a drop-down list of potential matches.
- Responsible Attorney: This field allows you to filter your invoices by the Responsible Attorney applied on the billed Matters.
- Due Date start date: Choose a start date for the invoices you wish to display. This field will restrict based on the Due Date of your bills. Once a start date is selected, by default the end date will auto populate with the same date.
- Due Date end date: Choose an end date for the invoices you wish to display. Selecting this option will expand your range from filtering for a single day, to filtering for multiple days, weeks, months, or longer.
- Payment Status: This field allows you to restrict your list of invoices from showing Overdue and not Overdue invoices to only Overdue.
- Search: If you know the invoice number you wish to find, type it into this field.