This article details the steps and options involved in Clio's billing workflow.
Clio's Pending Approval bill state allows multi-user accounts to require that drafted bills are submitted for review before they are approved and payments can be received.
Firm administrators can select whether or not they want to have the Pending Approval process added to the firm's billing workflow.
To turn off the Pending Approval State, go to your Clio Settings panel and click on "Billing" in the "Clio Settings" column. On the Bill Settings screen, scroll down to the Bill States section and check the box beside "Hide Pending Approval" then click the "Save Bill Settings" button.
Billable Client: Is where all unbilled time and expenses will be located, same as the previous New Bills tab.
When generating, you are given the option to skip the bill approval process. Checking this option will put the bill immediately into the "Awaiting Payment" state, by-passing the "Draft" state and an opportunity to make edits.
If your firm has multiple users and observes a billing approval workflow, you have the option of turning on draft notifications. With draft notifications enabled, you will be be given the option to send a notification that a bill has been generated to a user in your firm. For more information, click HERE.
A state change marker will display at top of page when you move the bill(s) to the next state. You can click "Undo" to move the bill(s) back to the previous state or click on the "View bills in draft" link to move to the Draft state area.
Once generated, the new bill(s) move to the "Draft" state for review. All newly created bills will have the word "New" display in green beside the invoice ID number to indicate that they have not been viewed. Once viewed, it will no longer indicate "New".
To view the bill, click on either the Bill ID number or the 'View' quick link.
While in draft mode you can perform the following actions which can be found by clicking the buttons at the upper right of the invoice's screen:
- Share: Utilizing Clio Connect the "share" button will allow you to send your invoice to your client. The helpful "Draft" watermark that appears on the bill will help you and your clients differentiate between draft and final bills.
- Previous: clicking on the previous button will allow you to navigate to the previous bill in the current state.
- Next: clicking on the next button will allow you to navigate to the next bill in the current state.
- Submit for Approval: move the bill to the "Pending Approval" state for review.
- Approve: bypass the approval process and move the bill to "Awaiting Payment" where you can apply payments and send the final bill to the client.
- Download: the bill in either PDF, CSV, or Ledes 1998B Output Formats.
- Edit: the bill to make changes to existing line entries or add new ones, add discounts per line entry or to the entire bill.
*Please note that only changes made to the Quantity, Rate, Date, and line item Notes can be reflected back in the Matter's Time and Expenses tabs.
- Delete: the bill if needed which will reset the original bill entries and move them back to the "Billable Clients" state.
The "Submit for Approval" action is relevant to those firms using a Pending Approval workflow.
From the Draft state, you have the ability to submit multiple bills for approval at once by 1) checking the boxes beside the bills you want to submit, and 2) selecting "Submit for Approval" from the "Action" dropdown.
When you submit a bill(s) for approval, you will be given the option to send a notification of that submission to a user in your firm.
- Notify a user: Select the firm user who should be notified that you are submitting bills for approval. If you do not want to send a notification, leave this field blank and click the "Submit for Approval" button.
- Notify via: Select if the firm user should be notified by E-mail, Clio Secure Message, or both.
- Add note: Click the + button to add a note to the E-mail or Secure Message notification.
- If you have selected multiple bills to be submitted for approval, each bill will appear on the right sorted by client. To stop a bill from being submitted for approval, click the X button beside that bill number.
Click the "Submit for Approval" button to complete the submission or click "Cancel" to abort the submission process and leave the selected bills in Draft state.
Once submitted for approval, the green go bar will reflect the new Bill State. Clicking "Undo" will move it back to the "Draft" state.
The Pending Approval state is relevant to those firms using a Pending Approval workflow.
Pending Approval: Once a draft is submitted for approval, it will move to the "Pending Approval" state for review. Changes can still be made to the bill same as in the Draft state. Please note that once approved, the Bills can no longer be edited.
When done reviewing the bill and changes are no longer required, click on "Approve" to move the bill to the "Awaiting Payment" state:
If the Issue Date of the bill is in the past then you will be given the option to change the Issue Date and the Due Date. By changing the Issue Date, the interest and early payment periods will update accordingly.
- Update the issue date: Check to change the Issue or Due dates.
- Issue Date: Defaults to today's date. Click in the field to change the date.
- Due Date: Click in the field to change the date.
- Use contacts' grace period to calculate due date: Check to calculate the bill's due date based on the grace period. Uncheck to manually set the Due date.
*Please note that any user in the account has the ability to approve draft bills into "Awaiting Payment".
Once Approved, the green go bar will reflect the new Bill State. Clicking "Undo" will move it back to the "Draft" state.
Awaiting Payment: From this state, you can send the final bill out to your client or share it via Clio Connect and await the payment. This is the state where interest calculations will begin to accrue if set up to do so. Also the "Draft" watermark will be removed from this state. Once the payment is received, you would apply the payment, click HERE for instructions.
Please note that changes can no longer be made to the bill during this state. If a change is needed to any of the line items, the bill would need to be voided. Click HERE to learn more. You can enable editing for bills in Awaiting Payment by modifying your Billing Settings in Settings.
Paid: Once the bill is paid in full, it will move the the "Paid" state.
All: Bills in all states, including voided bills, can be located in this area.
Clio's Workflow video series can also be reviewed for tips on setting up a Billing Workflow. More can be seen here.