Currently Clio Payments is only available for credit card transactions into domestic U.S. bank accounts, and only in U.S. dollars. Ensure in your Clio Account and Payment Information page in Settings you have selected "United States". More info. can be read on our "New to Clio" Support Article.
This article details how to accept credit card payments in Clio. For instructions on how to set up and apply for Clio Payments, see the "Clio Payments Set Up" article.
Once you have signed up for Clio Payments, you will see the "Credit Card Payment" quick link associated with each of your open bills.
Click the "Credit Card Payment" link to open the Credit Card Payment Wizard.
- Select the payment destination account (must be operating)
- Enter in the payment amount
- Click the "Billing Information" button
- Enter the credit card information
- Click the "Confirm" button
- Confirm the payment details
- Click the "Receive Payment" button
Once you have received the payment, it will be sent for processing. Credit card processing takes 24 to 48 hours. When the payment has been successfully authorized, a notification email will be sent to all users of your Clio account that have the "Billing" permission.
For instructions on viewing the status or history of credit card payments, see the "Clio Payments: Payment History and Status" article.
For instructions on voiding or refunding a credit card payment, see the "Clio Payments: Voiding and Refunding Payments" article.
Clio offers two methods for allowing your client to pay their own bills online:
- Via an emailed link
- Via Clio's secure client portal, Clio Connect
For details on how to send a bill to your client via email for payment online, see the "Sending a Bill to your Client via Email for Payment" article.
For details on how to share a bill with your client through Clio Connect, see the "Paying Bills Online through Clio Connect" article.
When you share a multi-Matter bill with your client for credit card payment, additional steps are required to allocate appropriate portions of the payment to each Matter.
Once your client has submitted the payment, you will be required to finalize the payment in Clio.
- Go to the "Bills" tab then click on the "Online Payments" sub-tab
- Locate the pending payment and click on the "Record Payment" quick link
- In the Record Payment window, allocate payment amounts for each Matter
- Click "Receive Payment"
The payment can now be viewed along side all online payments in the "Received" sub-tab.