- Import Custom Fields to Clio
- Limit errors and bar data when importing Custom Fields
- Clio Manage
- Data Importer
- Custom Fields in Clio must already be created manually to import.
- Create separate templates for Contact Custom Fields, and Matter Custom Fields.
- Matter custom fields link to the "Matter Custom Number."
- Contact Custom Fields map to the "First Name, Last name" OR Company Name fields.
- No special characters (such as periods, brackets and dashes) should be in the field label/Custom Field Name. Only character of 0-9 or A-Z will work.
- Do not set Custom Fields in Clio to "Default" or "Required."
- Be mindful of custom field types. For instance do not import to a "Picklist" type if there are 100+ values in the original data (this will result in a massively long Picklist in Clio. Another example is do not use a "Contact Link" custom field if the values in the original data are not actual contacts that have already been imported/existing in Clio.
- If the custom field has been added to a contact or matter, it will produce a duplicate row entry error for the line with the entry on it. Remove the custom field from the contact or matter to resolve.
- Certain special characters such as a colon in the Matter name or Matter number, may cause the import to fail.
For specific custom field type tips:
- Integer: Please make sure that there are no decimals, they will not be imported. This can be changed by right clicking the fields>format cells>numbers>select "(1234.10)">Enter in "0" for Decimal Places
- Money: You may also need make sure this format has no negatives (right clicking the fields>format cells>numbers>select "(1234.10)")
- Dates: dates need to be in mm/dd/yyyy format. On a mac, this needs to be done by right clicking the cells>format cells>date>Choose any type of date>Custom>change the date format to be mm/dd/yyyy>click okay.
- Validation: To import data into custom fields, it must pass validation, if validation fails, the item will not be imported and no error will be generated. This means you cannot import a word into an integer field, or a contact select must exist as a contact within Clio.