- QuickBooks Online Error Code (6240): The name supplied already exists. Another customer, supplier, or employee is already using this name. Please use a different name.
- Clio Manage
- QuickBooks Online
- Please note that when merging the Contacts you must ensure that the Contact with the Clio ID (ex. Clio 1234567) is the one that remains active. The original Contact in QuickBooks Online is the one that will need to be merged into the one with the Clio ID.
- For a full list of QuickBooks Online Error Codes click here.
- To find QuickBooks Online errors click here.
This indicates that another Contact already exists in QBO with an identical Display Name. You will need to merge these Contacts within QuickBooks Online.
- Change the name of the Contact in QuickBooks Online. Example: John Doe to John1 Doe
- Visit the QuickBooks Online error code and click the Re-Sync button -or- wait a full day for Clio to try to sync over John Doe again
- Within QuickBooks Online navigate to John Doe (Clio 1234567)
- Select Edit
- Copy John Doe (Clio 1234567) within the Display name as field
- Navigate to the original John1 Doe in QuickBooks Online
- Select the Edit button
- Paste John Doe (Clio 1234567) into the Display name as field
- Select to save the Contact
- Select Yes within the prompt that asks if you would like to merge Contacts
If the above steps do not work, you can also attempt to change the Invoice ID Number. This process can be done either in Clio or in QuickBooks Online. It may be best to look into making this change in QuickBooks Online as the invoices in QuickBooks Online are not Customer Facing. To make this change in Clio, please follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the Bill you would like to Edit
- Click More Actions at the top right and select Edit
- At the top left click on the ID# field and enter desired Invoice Number
- Click Update Invoice
- Go to Sales or Invoicing, then click on the Invoices tab.
- Select the invoice in question.
- Go to the Invoice no. field and change the invoice number.
- Click Save and Close or Save and Send.
If you are receiving a QuickBooks Online 6240 error related to a User in Clio, please follow the steps below:
- In Clio, change the name of the User slightly (e.g. by adding a ".")
- Click Retry next to error in Clio Sync Status page
- In QuickBooks Online, verify that a new Class matching that name was created
- Merge the old Class (User with unchanged name) to the newly created Class (see here)
- In Clio, change the name of the User back.