- QuickBooks Online Error Code (2500): Invalid Reference Id. Something you're trying to use has been deleted. Check the fields with accounts, customers, items, vendors or employees.
- Clio Manage
- QuickBooks Online
- For a full list of QuickBooks Online Error Codes that you might encounter, click here.
- For more information on how you can find QuickBooks Online errors in your account, click here.
This error occurs when Clio attempts to sync to a QuickBooks Online record (customer, class, journal entry, etc...) that has been deleted in QuickBooks Online.
A few possible causes of this error message could be:
- The accountant or bookkeeper purged the firm's QuickBooks Online file, causing all previous chart of accounts, contacts, product and services to become deactivated
- The item referenced was deleted in QuickBooks Online or Clio.
- The Contact may have originally been duplicated in Clio. Then the incorrect Contact was deleted in QuickBooks Online, leaving no Contact for Clio to sync future updates/items, which would produce this 2500 error.
- If you are tracking firm users on bills (see here), a Class or Subclass related to a User in Clio may have been deleted
If the firm's QuickBooks Online file was purged by their bookkeeper or accountant, then the firm needs to reach out to the Clio Support team with written permission from the Primary Subscriber sent via email so that we can disconnect the integration on our end and then for the firm to reconnect their QuickBooks Online account. This is because purging the QuickBooks Online file deletes all data in QuickBooks Online so Clio needs to remove the mapping to the old chart of accounts, contacts, bills, transactions, products and services.
Edit & Merge Contact in QuickBooks Online
Change the name of the remaining QuickBooks Online Contact to something unique, clicking Retry on the QuickBooks Online error for the Contact itself, and then in QuickBooks Online merging the previously existing contact into the newly created one. For details on how to merge a Contact within QuickBooks Online, please see here.
Edit Contact in Clio and & Merge in QuickBooks Online
Change the name of the Contact in Clio. This will create a new contact in QuickBooks Online which you can then merge the old contact in QuickBooks Online to. For details on how to merge a Contact within QuickBooks Online, please see here.
Recover Inactive Classes
If you are seeing a "Code (2500): Invalid Reference Id : Klasses element id not found" error, attempt the steps here. If that does not resolve the issue, contact Clio Support, stating this error message.
These are only some examples of solving this issue, and other situations may exist. If further assistance is needed please contact our Support Team.