- Quickbooks Error Code (2500): Invalid Reference Id. Something you're trying to use has been deleted. Check the fields with accounts, customers, items, vendors or employees.
- Clio Manage
- Quickbooks Online
- For a full list of Quickbook Error Codes that you might encounter, click here.
- For more information on how you can find Quickbooks errors in your account, click here.
This error occurs when Clio attempts to sync to a Quickbooks Online record (customer, class, journal entry, etc...) that has been deleted in QBO.
A few possible causes of this error message could be:
- The accountant or bookkeeper purged the firm's QBO file, causing all previous chart of accounts, contacts, product and services to become deactivated
- The item referenced was deleted in QBO or Clio.
- The Contact may have originally been duplicated in Clio. Then the incorrect Contact was deleted in QuickBooks Online, leaving no Contact for Clio to sync future updates/items, which would produce this 2500 error.
- If you are tracking firm users on bills (see here), a Class or Subclass related to a User in Clio may have been deleted
If the firm's QBO file was purged by their bookkeeper or accountant, then the firm needs to reach out to the Clio Support team so that we can disconnect the integration on our end and then for the firm to reconnect their QBO account. This is because purging QBO file deletes all data in QBO so Clio needs to remove the mapping to the old chart of accounts, contacts, bills, transactions, products and services.
Edit & Merge Contact in QBO
Change the name of the remaining QBO Contact to something unique, clicking Retry on the QBO error for the Contact itself, and then in QBO merging the previously existing contact into the newly created one. For details on how to merge a Contact within QBO, please see here.
Edit Contact in Clio and & Merge in QBO
Change the name of the Contact in Clio. This will create a new contact in QBO which you can then merge the old contact in QBO to. For details on how to merge a Contact within QBO, please see here.
Recover Inactive Classes
If you are seeing a "Code (2500): Invalid Reference Id : Klasses element id not found" error, attempt the steps here. If that does not resolve the issue, contact Clio Support, stating this error message.
These are only some examples of solving this issue, and other situations may exist. If further assistance is needed please contact our Support Team.