Review the resources for setting your User Default Rate, Client rates, Matter rates and Activity Descriptions before creating Time Entries. More can be read in the Getting Started Setting up your Rates Support Article.
Clicking "Time entry" opens the "Time entry" window. Here you can fill in the details of your new Time Entry.
- Duration: Input a minute or hour amount in either a decimal format or a time format to track how long you have spent on your activity. You can also start a timer by pressing the play button.
- Matter: Include a Matter to ensure the Time Entry can be billed for your client. Any Matter can be selected in this field.
- Activity category: Select from a list of pre-determined rates to apply to your entry. Activity Descriptions can utilize a custom billing rate, and include text to further describe your entry. More can be read in the Creating and Managing Activity Descriptions Support Article.
- Description: Add more context to your Time Entry by writing a description. Depending on your Bill Themes settings, what you enter in this field may be visible on your Bills.
- Date: The current date is filled in by default, but you can change the date if necessary.
- Firm user: Track time for yourself or on behalf of another user in your account.
- Rate: Input how much should be charged per hour for your Time Entry.
Time Entries can also be created on the "Activities" page:
On a Matter:
They can also be created for task specific work, such as on a Document or Communication.
The same options will display when you edit an entry as when you create a new entry.
To edit multiple Time Entries at once, select the entries you want to edit and then click the "Edit time entries" button.
In the "Edit time entries" window, you can edit the Date, Matter, User, and Rate for the selected Time Entries.
After you enter your changes, you will need to confirm that you understand the consequences of the bulk edit. Primarily, whatever values you enter into the fields on this page will affect all of the selected Time Entries.
Click the "Save Time Entries" button to complete the edit for those Time Entries.
Restrictions on Editing Multiple Time Entries:
- Only Administrators can use this function
- Only unbilled Time Entries can be edited
- The Rate field is blocked if both flat rate and hourly Time Entries are selected
- You are only able to edit either hourly OR flat rate entries at one time; not both.
- The Matter field is blocked if Time Entries from different Matters are selected
You will receive a Warning message. Click "Delete entry" to confirm the deletion.
If the Time Entry has been billed, you will not see the option to Delete or Edit. Editing can still take place on the Bill. Review the Bill in Draft to Edit the Time Entry.
Administrators can also perform bulk deletions of Time Entries by selecting the entries and clicking "Delete".
For steps on using the Timer in Clio, see Clio's Using Timers in Clio Support Article.