Clio's Credit Note feature allows two ways for applying Credit Notes to write off amounts owing on approved bills:
To add a Credit Note to an approved bill from the "Record Payment" screen, please follow these steps:
1. Navigate to desired Bill and Open the bill
2. Click on Record Payment
3. For the item you want to apply a Credit Note for, enter a dollar value less than the balance owed in Payment Amount
4. Next, click anywhere on this screen. A checkbox for Write off remaining will appear. Select this box.
5. Click Record Payment
To view the Credit Note applied, go to the Credit Notes sub-tab:
You will also see the Credit Note applied on your Bill:
To add a Credit Note to a bill from the "Credit Notes" sub-tab, please follow these steps:
- Navigate to desired Bill and Open the bill
- Select the Credit Notes sub-tab
- Click Add Credit Note
- The date will prepopulate with today's date, but can be changed if desired
- (Optional) Enter a description for the Credit Note
- Enter Credit Note amount
- Click Save Credit Note
You will now see the Credit Note within the Credit Notes sub-tab and applied to your Bill.
Additional Details: If you would like to write off an entire bill, this must be completed by adding a Credit Note within the Credit Notes sub-tab.
Alternately, if you would like to apply discounts to your invoices, review our Support Article on "Applying Discounts to Bills". It is not recommended to apply a 100% discount.
More can be read about reporting on Write-Downs, Discounts, and Credit Notes in the Comparing Activity and Billing Reports Support Article.