In Clio Manage, there are two ways you can generate new bills: in the Billing section for matters that have time or expense entries, or as a Quick bill for matters that do not have time or expense entries.
This article explains how to generate bills in the Billing section, including how to generate bills in bulk. To learn more about Quick bills, read through this article.
To create a Bill in Clio:
- Select Billing in the left navigation menu.
- Click New bills. In the new screen, all matters that have billable time and expense activities will be listed.
- Click Filter to find a specific bill or to restrict time or expenses to a specific date range. You can also filter by client, matter, responsible attorney, originating attorney, or matter custom fields.
- Select the boxes next to the matters for which you want to generate bills. If you want to select all of the matters from your filtered list, check the box next to Select All.
- Click Generate.
After selecting the matters for which you want to generate bills, you will see a new Generate invoices window. You will see the following selections:
- Issue date: This date will default to today's date but can be changed to a date of your choosing. The date will apply to all bills you are currently generating currently.
- Due date: Select the date that you want the bills to be due. This date will override the grace period specified in the Payment Profile section of your settings. If you change the Issue date but would still like the Due date to respect the grace period specified in the Payment Profile, ensure that Use contact's grace period to calculate due date is checked.
- Detail level: This section presents users with three possible billing options:
- All details: This method displays each activity on the bill as a separate line item. This billing option is preferred by most firms and is ideal for providing clients with the greatest amount of bill precision and transparency.
- Activity summary: This method condenses all similar activities (as determined by activity category) on the bill into single line items. This billing option provides clients with a distribution of time allocated by activity type, but where conciseness and simplicity is still preferred.
- Aggregate: This method condenses activities on the bill into a single line item. If you select this option, you have the additional following choices:
- All items aggregated: All activities are combined into a single line item.
- Aggregated by type: Services and expenses are combined into two separate line items.
- Only services aggregated: Services are combined into one line item, but expenses remain as separate line items.
- Only expenses aggregated: Expenses are combined into one line item, but services remain as separate line items.
- Activities: This section presents users with three possible billing options for time and expense entries:
- Include time entries and expenses: The bill will show all time and expense entries.
- Include time entires only: The bill will show ONLY time entries. This option is useful for contingency and flat-fee matters.
- Include expenses only: The bill will show ONLY expense entries. This option is useful for contingency and flat-fee matters.
- Other options: This section presents users with five billing options to choose from:
- Combine multiple matters for one client into a single bill
- Include unbilled matters with a zero balance
- Apply tax
- Apply secondary tax
- Skip the bill approval process
- Click Generate bills when you are ready to generate the bills.
Filter generated bills
After the bills are generated, they can be found in the Draft state. If you selected the option for Skip the bill approval process, the bills will be in the Unpaid state. To search for a specific generated bill:
- In the Billing page, click Filters on the right side or search by bill Id in the Search by ID box.
- If you click Filters, you can select from the following options:
- Client: Search by client name.
- Matter: Search by matter name or matter number.
- Responsible Attorney: Filter invoices by the responsible attorney assigned to the matter.
- Originating Attorney:Filter invoices by the originating attorney assigned to the matter.
- Last sent: Filter by the date that the bill was last sent to the client.
- Due date: Filter invoices by the date range in which they are due.
- Issue Before: Filter invoices by the date range in which they were issued.
- Show overdue bills only: Filters invoices by bills that are past due.
- Type: Show bills that are normal bills, for trust requests, or for both.
- Custom Fields: Filter invoices by choosing matter custom fields.