- Change the Clio Primary Subscriber without access to the current listed owner's email
- Update the Primary Subscriber in Clio if you don't have access to their account
- Change account owner
- Clio Manage
If for whatever reason, the firm member initially listed as the Primary Subscriber (as laid out in our Terms of Service) has left the firm without transferring ownership, and cannot be reached to transfer ownership, then Clio can assist. However, please first verify the following:
- If the current owner can still be reached, they can log in to Clio and transfer ownership by following these simple steps to immediately transfer ownership: How to change the Primary Subscriber.
- If the email account for the Primary Subscriber has a custom firm-wide domain (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org rather than something like @outlook or @gmail), the firm and/or the new Primary Subscriber should contact their internal IT or domain provider to gain access to that email and account by resetting the password and logging in to follow the steps to internally transfer ownership.
If the former Primary Subscriber is inaccessible and their email address is not at the firm's domain, we require an Affidavit, notarized by a Notary Public with a valid commission as well as the new Primary Subscriber's Bar Association or Law Society membership number.
As modification of account ownership has serious consequences, and due to differing state and province requirements to verify both Notary and Attorney credentials, this process may take upwards of 5 business days. While we will make every effort to expedite this process where possible, we must perform our due diligence in protecting the integrity of accounts.
Please Note: In light of the current COVID-19 crisis, many jurisdictions have issued guidelines to licensed lawyers within that particular location on the virtual/e-notarization processes. We recommend that you refer to your state bar or provincial law society as a starting point for how you would be able to obtain notarization during this time, while still prioritizing personal health and safety. If there are no guidelines yet in place for your location, please let us know and we'll be happy to suggest alternative steps.
- Verify the Additional Information above to confirm that neither the original Primary Subscriber nor the firm are able to modify ownership.
- Create a sworn Affidavit stating the following (and modifying as needed):
I, (NAME), being first duly sworn upon oath, depose and say: That (NAME OF DEPARTED FIRM MEMBER) is no longer a member of the law firm of (NAME OF LAW FIRM) and can no longer be reached. I am an active licensed member of the (STATE) Bar, Bar # (NUMBER) and I am requesting that Clio modify the account information for (NAME OF LAW FIRM) to list me as the Primary Subscriber of the account and therefore, I should have sole authority to administer the subscription. The email currently used by me for this Clio account is (EMAIL BEING USED TO LOG INTO CLIO). Please transfer ownership to this email address.
- Have Affidavit notarized by an actively commissioned Notary Public. The notary should confirm in the jurat that the Affidavit was "sworn or affirmed" by the named Affiant in his or her presence. Acknowledgements will not be accepted.
- Send Affidavit to Clio Support.