For information on a manual payment workflow where the funds are pulled from a Trust account, please review the Trust Bill Payment Workflow Support Article.
- Clicking on the "Bills" tab will bring you to the Awaiting Payment bill state which will display all open and outstanding bills. Click on the Bill ID or "View" quick link to open a Bill.
- Click "Record Payment".
In the New Bill Payment window, you will be provided with the following options:
- Payment Date: The default is today, but you can change this.
- Reference: Enter a checking or reference number in this field if desired.
- Source: Where you are drawing the funds from. Select "Direct Payment" for cash and check payments or select an account (IOLTA/Trust, or an Operating Account) with an available client balance. Select "Credit Card" to take a payment via Clio Payments and then choose 'Billing Information' on the bottom left to complete the transaction.
- Destination: Lists the Operating Accounts available to deposit the funds into. (IOLTA/Trust accounts, as per most trust accounting rules, are not permitted to contain funds earned by an attorney, and cannot be selected as a destination account.)
- Payment Amount: Enter the amount the client is paying towards their bill. This field is intended for use when paying multiple Bills at once. You can choose to pay an individual Bill from here or the Bill specific Payment field.
- Payment (Bill Specific): Enter the amount the client is paying towards their bill. You can overpay a bill from this field (put more in Amount then what is due), but you cannot pay an amount greater than what is in the Source Account.
- Description: You can edit or add to the payment note for your reference.
- Click on "Record Payment".
- You will now see the payment applied to your bill.
- In the "Bills" tab you will choose the "Record Payment" button on the top right.
- Type in a Client name in the "Client" field. This Client can have multiple Bills outstanding. Choose them from the drop down.
- Choose the proper Source (where the funds are coming from), Destination (where the funds are depositing to) and type the amount being paid across several Bills in the Payments Amount field (the funds will apply on oldest to newest invoice).
- When you are finished, click on the "Record Payment" button.
- All the Bills now paid in full will move under the Paid tab in Bills.
If you accidentally apply a payment to a Bill, it can still be removed from the Bill.
- View the invoice and navigate to the Payments tab.
- Select to Delete the payment entry.