Before you create a Matter, determine how you want your Matters numbered. To review the steps, click HERE.
Steps on Creating a Matter
- To create a new Matter, click on the main Matters tab or the Matters sub-tab of a Contact card, then click on the New Matter button.
- Matter Client: Each matter must have a Client. Adding a contact to a Matter makes them the Client. If the person already exists, start to type their name and choose them from the dropdown. Otherwise, click on Create a contact to simultaneously create a new Contact and make them a Client.
- Matter Description: Enter the Description of the file (the title, ie: Jones vs. Smith or Purchase of 123 Main Street).
- Responsible Attorney: You can optionally assign one Responsible Attorney per matter. This individual must have an attorney subscription class, not a non-attorney.
- Originating Attorney: This is the user that brought the Matter to the firm. This field is optional.
- Client Reference Number: The client reference number field is intended to facilitate the storage of any tracking details the client may impose on you such as an internal reference number or PO. Populating this field is optional. Additionally, you can display the Client Reference Number on your clients' invoices. For more information, click HERE.
- Location: The location field is intended to facilitate the storage of locations important to a Matter such as the court where trial is set to occur. Populating this field is optional.
- Permissions: You can ensure only you or a group of people can see the Matter information. This is a required field. For more information on Matter Permissions, please click HERE.
- Practice Area: You can optionally assign a Practice Area to a Matter. There are several pre-populated within Clio and you can add others as well by clicking on the link (this action will boot you out of the Create Matter form). For more information on Practice Areas, visit the Support Article HERE.
- Status: This is where you determine the file Status. If you choose not to enter anything, it will default to Open.
- Open / Close / Pending Date: Enter the Open/Closed/Pending date. Every file has a status of one of these three choices. By default when you open a file it is Open and the Open date will be shown. For more information on Pending files, click HERE.
- Statute of Limitations: You can determine a Statute of Limitations for your Matter and this date will appear in your calendar as well in the calendar named after same. For more information, please click HERE.
- Matter Notifications: This is where you can select which firm user to receieve notifications when the status of this matter changes or the matter is deleted. They will also be notified when documents are uploaded by clients and related contacts.
- Related Contacts: Contact - Related Contacts is a default collapsed section. This is a Contact select box that allows you to choose any previously Created contact as a Related Contact. If the Contact is not yet entered in Clio, you can click Create a contact to create a Contact and connect it to the Matter at the same time.
- Related Contacts: Relationship - Related Contacts is a default collapsed section. This is where you enter the relationship, which will affect the merge fields generated for this Matter in Document Automation. To see more about creating a Document Automation template, please see HERE.
- Custom Fields: Custom fields is a collapsed section unless you have required Custom Fields. Administrators in your account can set up Custom Fields that can be used to customize your Clio Matter Details.
- Billing Preference
- Matter is billable: By default all new files are "Billable". This means that when you add time entries they show up in the Billable Clients page. If you uncheck this box, you can enter in time and expenses and they do not appear in the Billable Clients page.
- By default, Matters are set to Hourly billing. You can also specify flat fee billing, or can specify a contingency fee. For more information, click HERE.
- Hourly/flat fee/contingency billing for a Matter cannot be changed once a bill has been generated.
- Task List: Select a list of Task templates to assign to this Matter.
When you are finished, click Save Matter