- To record a payment on a bill for a Disbursement directly from the Client/Trust Fund to a Third Party
- The payment needs to be on a bill but does not go to the Firm Office/Operating Account
- Clio Manage
- To record a payment to a 3rd Party from Client/Trust Funds that does not need to be recorded on a Bill you can do the following: Disbursing Trust and Client Funds
- To Create a Disbursements only Bill see here: How Can I Create an Expense Only Bill?
There is not currently an option in Clio to record a payment for a Disbursement on a Bill from the Client/Trust Funds to a 3rd Party.
A workaround for this is to create a second Operating account to record these Transactions instead, usually named Purchase Account
Create a second account:
- Go to the Accounts tab and click New.
- Account Type: Choose the Account Type Operating.
- Account Name: Name your account Purchase Account so that you can identify it in a list.
- Optional account information: The bank account information is not required
- Opening Balance: You should leave the opening balance at $0.00
- Default Account: Leave this unchecked as we want our Office or Client/Trust Account to remain the Default
- Select Create New Bank Account
Next, you will need to create a Disbursements only Bill for Expenses that need to be paid in this manner
Then, Record a Payment on the Bill:
- When the Bill has been approved Click Record Payment
- Select a Source: You will select the Client/Trust Funds
- Select a Destination: Here you will select the Purchase Account we created earlier
- Enter the Payment Amount
- Click Record Payment