Clio integrates with Google Drive to let you create new word processing documents and spreadsheets right from Clio!
PLEASE NOTE: The initial authorization must be done from the Originating Subscriber's account.
- Go to your Clio settings panel by clicking on the gear icon in the Clio header, then click "Documents" in the System column.
- From the Documents settings, click the "Document Sources" sub-tab.
- Scroll down to "Google Drive" and click the "Configure Google Drive" link.
- Link your Google Drive account by clicking on the "Enable Google Drive" button.
PLEASE NOTE: If you already have Google Calendars and Google Contacts synced, the authorization steps (5-6) would not be required.
- You will then be prompted to log in to Google if you are not already logged in. Finally, click the "Allow" button to authorize the connection between your Clio and Google accounts.
PLEASE NOTE: At the upper right you will see which Gmail address you are connecting to. If you are signed into more than one address, confirm you are connecting your Clio Account to the correct Gmail account by reviewing the address listed at the upper right.
- Google Drive is now authorized and has now been connected to your Clio account. A folder named "Clio" will be created in the root directory of your Google Drive. Client and Matter subfolders will be contained within the Clio folder.
Warning: Do not move or rename the Clio folder or any of its subfolders.
You can find basic configuration settings by going to your Clio settings panel then clicking "Documents" in the System column, then the "Document Sources" sub-tab. Scroll down to "Google Drive" and click on the "Configure Google Drive" link.
To set Google Drive as your default document source whenever you access Documents in Clio, check the box beside "Make Google Drive the default document source".
To select which Matter statuses should be synced to Google Drive (Open, Open and Pending, or All), click on the dropdown field below "Syncronize matters with a status of".
To save the Google Drive settings, click the "Save Changes" button.
When viewing any Document folder through the Google Drive integration, you can create a Google Doc or Sheet right within Clio.
- Click the "Create" button.
- In the "Create a New Document" window, select the type of file you want to create by clicking on the "Type" field and give your file a name.
- A blank document will now be added to your Google Drive folder. Click on the document name to open it in a new tab where you can begin drafting.
Your Clio account's Google Drive sync only needs to be performed once by your Clio account administrator. Once the administrator has set up the Google Drive integration, all users in your firm's Clio account will be able to upload and see documents via the Google Drive integration in Clio when they go to "Documents" or the "Documents" sub-tab in a Matter.
If the other users in your Clio account would like to have access to those folders directly in Google Drive, outside of Clio, they need to have Google, or Gmail, accounts. Once this is confirmed, the administrator who originally set up the Google Drive integration can share the Clio folder in Google Drive, or specific folders within it, with the users in your firm who would like to access them outside of Clio.
Directions for sharing folders and documents in Google Drive can be found on their support website.