There are two different processes for generating an invoice in Clio:
- You can generate invoices from the Bills section of Clio for Matters that already have associated time and expense entries.
For complete instructions, click here.
- You can create a "Quick Bill" to add Matter, Contact, time and/or expense information on the fly. This means even if you have not yet created time or expense entries, you can create them using the Quick Bill tool.
You can create a single invoice quickly with information that you add on the fly, whether or not the Matter and Contact already exist in Clio. From the "New Quick Bill" form, you can instantly add a new Contact, create a new Matter, and add time & expense entries that will automatically be applied to the newly created Matter. Similarly, when you create a Quick Bill from an existing Contact or Matter, you will also be able to add linked time and expense entries from within the bill form.
It is recommended to create a Quick Bill as a one-off, but as your regular billing workflow we recommend using Billable Clients. More on a billable workflow can be read in the Creating Bills Support Article.
To instantly create an invoice without having to first add a Contact or Matter, go to the "Bills" tab and click the green "New Quick Bill" button.
Note that Quick Bills generated for new Contacts will use the Clio default Payment Profile. (30 day grace period. No discount. No interest.)
This will open a blank "New Quick Bill" form.
- To field: In the "To" field, start typing the name of an existing Contact. Or, if the client you want to bill has not yet been added as a Contact in Clio, click the "New Person" or "New Company" links to bring up the contact fields required to instantly create the new Contact. If you would like to complete the remaining Contact information fields, you can edit the newly generated Contact later.
- Matter field: Add a brief description to the "Matter" field. This information is all that is required to instantly create a new Matter for your new or existing Contact. If you would like to complete the remaining Matter information fields, you can edit the newly generated Matter later.
- Time and Expense Entries: To add time and/or expense entries, click the "Add a time entry" and/or "Add an expense entry" buttons then complete the fields as provided. Note that custom Activity Descriptions and UTBMS codes are not available for use in the Quick Bill form.
- Billing Options: Click "Show options" to reveal the bill options fields.
- Generate Bill: When you are ready, click the "Generate Bill" button. If you would prefer to generate a bill that is approved ready for payment, check the "Skip the bill approval process" option as imaged above.
You can find quick links and buttons to create a Quick Bill from a variety of locations around Clio.
From a Contact
When you start a Quick Bill from a Contact, it will link to that particular Contact but not to any Matter. You will have to create a new Matter for the contact from within the Quick Bill. All time or expense entries that you add to the Quick Bill will also appear on the newly created Matter.
To start a Quick Bill from a Contact, click on the "Quick Bill" quick link from the Contacts list page.
You can also start a Quick Bill by clicking on the "Quick Bill" link from within a Contact card.
- Quick Bill Button: Click the "Quick Bill" button to start a new quick bill linked to the Contact but not to any of the Matters that are currently associated with the Contact (this will require you to create a new Matter for the Contact from within the quick bill).
- Quick Bill Quick Links: In the Matters sub-tab of the Contact card, click the "Quick Bill" quick link to start a new quick bill that is linked both to the Contact and the Matter.
From a Matter
When you start a Quick Bill from a Matter, it will link to both the Matter and the appropriate Contact. All time and expense entries that you add to the Quick Bill will also appear on the linked Matter.
To start a Quick Bill from a Matter, click on the "Quick Bill" quick link from the Matter list page.
You can also start a Quick Bill by clicking on the "Quick Bill" button from within a Matter's details.
If you are working on a Matter that does not yet have any Time or Expense Entries, you can create these using the Quick Bill tool. These entries will be created on the invoice, and they will also be created under the Time sub-tab of the Matter, and the Expenses sub-tab.
Once on the Quick Bill page, you can begin to add Time and Expense entries by clicking on "Add a time entry" or "Add an expense entry" on the left hand side of the page.
Once your entries have been added, click Generate Bill at the lower left of the page.
Next, you can either click "View Bill" or "Create Another".
These Entries will now be on the Invoice and on the Matter.