This article details a general overview of the Trust/Client Funds workflow in Clio.
Requesting Retainer or Advanced Funds from your Client
Recording Payments into Trust/Client
Recording Payment Transactions with Trust/Client Funds Requests
Recording Payment Transactions Manually
Paying a Revenue Bill with Funds in Trust/Client
Clio subscribers with access to the Trust/Client Funds Request feature can create a 'bill' requesting funds that should be deposited into Trust/Client.
For information about the Trust/Client Funds Request feature, see our "Trust/Client Funds Request" related articles. For information on including client trust accounting information on Bills, see the "How to Display a Client's Trust/Client Ledger on a Bill" article.
For those subscribers using the Trust/Client Funds Request feature, you can record a payment transaction directly into your Trust/Client account from the request bill. Additionally, subscribers using both Clio Payments and Trust/Client Funds Requests can receive payment directly into a Trust/Client account from a credit card.
For more information, see:
- Clio Payments: Working with Trust/Client Funds Requests
- Trust/Client Funds Requests: Recording Payments on a Trust/Client Funds Request
You can still record Trust/Client payment transactions manually in Clio if you are not using the Trust/Client Funds Request feature.
For detailed instructions on how to record Trust/Client transactions in Clio, see Managing Account Transactions - Retainers, Deposits, or Pre-Payments.
Using Trust/Client funds to pay Revenue Bills in Clio is a simple four step process.
1. Click "Record Payment" when viewing a bill to display the "New Bill Payment" window.
2. In the "Source" field, select the Trust/Client Account with either the "Client" or "Matter" label. Your selection will depend on whether you have deposited the Trust/Client funds into the Client's trust ledger or the Matter's.
3. Click the blue "Receive Payment" button to complete the payment.