What can this Data Escrow feature do for me?
Clio in North America is backed up multiple times a day to multiple server locations within the Continental US and data on our European server is backed up at our data center in European Union - still, some users want an additional copy of their information and documents that they can access.
You have the ability to automatically push a weekly copy of your Clio information to an Amazon S3 bucket for an escrow storage of your Clio account.
You can at any time retrieve individual items from this Escrow account. If you wish to download the entire escrow account to your computer, please click here for instructions.
Set up the Data Escrow & Amazon S3 Account
Note: Only Administrators can set up the Escrow feature. To read more on permissions, see our User Permissions Support Article.
To set up the Escrow, click on the gear icon at the upper right of the page. From the "Settings" page, select "Data Escrow":
Here you will find instructions and links to set up your S3 bucket and link it to your Clio account:
1. Click here to go to Amazon's site to sign up for an Amazon S3 Bucket:
2. Follow the instructions for setting up a new account:
3. Please note that on Amazon's end it might take up to 24 hours for all services to be available on new accounts and you will receive an email confirmation when it is complete:
4. You will receive an email once the account is activated like the below. Click on the link to go into Amazon AWS.
5. Click on "Access Keys (Access Key ID and Secret Access Key)".
6. Click "Create New Access Key"
7. Now you will find your Access Key and Secret Key. Download it to a secure location on your computer.
8. Copy your Access Key and Secret Key to Clio and name your bucket:
9. Click on "Save Data Escrow Settings":
You will see a confirmation and the "Status" will change to "Configured":
Now, your request will go into a processing queue and will be processed for the first time at the first available spot. Once it has been processed you will see the Status change to Success and will display the last date of processing. Depending on the amount of data you have, it may not all appear in your Amazon S3 account at this stage but data will continue to transfer.
View your Escrow Information
To view your escrow information, log in to Amazon AWS and select "S3" from the Find Services drop down menu.
Next, choose the bucket (Same name as in the Clio screen above "Bucket Name):
Now what you will see are your documents and export .CSVs:
If you click into the Documents you will be provided with a list of your client files and their related documents:
If you click into Exports you will be provided with the .csv and .ics files you would be able to generate here: https://app.clio.com/export:
When does the backup take place?
The initial back up will be within 24 hours of set up and then it will be automatically backed up every Saturday afterwards.
What happens during backup?
Each week, we will overwrite whatever is in the S3 bucket. For example, if a user in the firm deletes a document, that document will be removed from the S3 bucket the next time the escrow runs.
For app.clio.com, we allow escrow to other buckets that are hosted in us-east-1
For eu.app.clio.com, we allow escrow to other buckets that are hosted in eu-west-1
For ca.app.clio.com, we allow escrow to other buckets that are hosted in ca-central-1
What is the cost?
There is no charge on Clio's end. You do pay for the amount of information in your S3 bucket (pennies per gigabyte). Refer to Amazon for detailed information.