Clio's Revenue Report is designed to help firms visualize and quantify key performance metrics on a per-user, per-client and per-matter basis. The report details hours, expenses, and taxes in terms of unbilled, billed and collected amounts.
To generate the Report, first click on the Reports tab at the upper right of your page in the black ribbon. Then, scroll to the bottom of the Reports list, and click on Revenue Report.
Within the Report Options page you have several settings you can choose from to get the information you require on your report:
- Select Report Detail (Users): Choose if you want to show billed, unbilled, and collected entries for all users or a specific user, or "timekeeper". Restricting the report to a single user will only show entries input under the selected user.
- Select Report Detail (Client/Matter): Choose if you want to generate the report for all clients, a specific client, or a specific matter. Restricting the report to a single client will ensure that only entries placed under their matter or matters will be reported on.
- Select Practice Area: You have the ability to limit the results on your generated Report to a specific Practice Area, or by default you can select to display all Practice Areas. Do note that if you select to report on a single Practice Area, that all matters you wish to display will have to have the Practice Area assigned to it. More on Practice Areas can be read in our Managing Practice Areas Support Article.
- Select Date Range: Setting a date range will restrict selected data to those records bounded by the range. Unbilled entries that appear on your Report adhere to the activity date. Billed entries adhere to the Issue Date of your approved invoice. Collected amounts adhere to the date the payment was made. Choose the "Custom" option if you want to determine a specific range outside of the default selection. Credit Notes are determined by the date they were entered.
- Select Report Format: You can generate this report in PDF or .CSV. Due to the size of the report, it is not able to be generated in a web version.
The generated Revenue Report will display Unbilled, Billed, and Collected totals for each client and matter for your firm. At the bottom of this report, you will see a summarized firm total.
You may also wish to see this report in a .CSV file format.
In each column we see information specific to your firm's outstanding, and collected earnings.
Unbilled Time and Unbilled Expense refer to entries that are not yet on an approved bill. This includes entries under a Matter that are not yet assigned to an invoice, and entries on a Draft/Pending Approval invoice. Unbilled Hours will display the total number of hours used to calculate the dollar figure. If you have utilized a Date Range on your Report, any entries created within that range but not put on an invoice will appear under the Unbilled columns.
Billed Time, Billed Expense, and Billed Tax refer to entries that have been applied to an invoice that has been approved. The Credit Notes column includes an amount you wrote-off on your invoices. This does not include Discounts, as a Discount will adjust the amount due under Billed Time for each individual line item that was Discounted on the invoice. If the entire invoice was Discounted rather than individual lines, you will see the Discount applied evenly across all items and lower your Billed Time, Billed Expense, and Billed Taxes. If you have utilized a Date Range on your Report, any amounts placed onto an invoice that have been issued in your selected Date Range will appear under the Billed columns.
Collected Time, Collected Expense, and Collected Tax refer to charges on approved invoices that have been paid. If a partial payment has been applied, under Collected we will see the payment evenly applied across Time, Expense, and Tax columns. Any invoices created and paid within your selected Date Range will appear underneath the Collected columns. Collected Uncategorized refers to payments that cannot be associated with any billed time, expense, tax or product within a selected Date Range. For example, if you have generated an invoice for September, and back-date the payment applied to August, then when running a Revenue Report for the month of August you will see the payment reflected underneath Collected Uncategorized as the invoice is not within the same range as the payment.
At the bottom of the Revenue Report you will see a total that summarizes all of the above totals for each column and for every displayed Matter and Client.
What if I only want to manipulate the data in this Report?
When generating a Report in a .CSV format you can have additional options for manipulation as sorting, or removing certain columns or rows. For more information on manipulating .CSV, please see our How to Filter and Sort Exports in Excel Support Article.
For Collected Amounts, how is the amount determined if there are multiple users billing on a Matter and there is a partial payment?
Collected amounts are distributed equally across users on a bill based on their billed amounts. It doesn't have anything to do with responsible attorney for Unbilled, Billed, or Collected amounts.
For Collected Amounts, how are the amounts "Collected" determined?
Collected amounts are equally distributed based on the invoiced Time and Expense amounts. For example, if two Users have input 50% of the billed time each on an invoice, and a payment of $100 is applied, each user will have $50 in the Collected columns. This will become apparent if the Revenue Report is generated on a per User basis.
How is revenue from a Flat Rate Matter reported?
Revenue from Flat Rate Matters is credited to the attorney specified in the Matter Billing section of the Edit Matter form. If outside of the Flat Fee there are additional Time Entries made on this Matter, these entries will be attributed to the User who has input them.
How is revenue from a Contingency Fee Matter reported?
For a Contingency Fee Matter, all revenue is attributed to the User selected as the Fee Recipient. However, if additional Time Entries are created with an amount to be charged applied, the resulting revenue from these entries will be attributed to the User.
How is Interest assigned on this Report?
Interest items are not attributed to a single user but are attributed to the firm. Therefore, Interest will display on your Revenue Report if generated for All Users.