Matters are the heart of Clio with links to relevant all information. This article details the options available to you when managing your Matters.
- Matter Number: You can customize how your Matters are numbered. For more information, see the "Custom Matter Numbering" article.
- Matter Description: To edit the Matter description by clicking "Edit".
- Clio Connect Button: Click to share this Matter with a Contact via the secure portal "Clio Connect".
- Quick Bill: Click Quick Bill to instantly create a bill for this Matter.
- Trust Request: Click Trust Request to instantly create a Trust Request bill for this Matter.
- Edit: Click Edit to make any changes to the Matter information.
- Matter menu: Click to either close or delete the Matter. If you choose to delete a Matter, you will be prompted to confirm that you understand the consequences. For details, see the "Editing and Deleting Matters" article.
- Matter Budget Dashboard: For those accounts with Matter Budgets enabled, can track the value of your recorded time and expense entries against the maximum amount budgeted to the Matter. For details, see the "Working with the Matter Budget Dashboard" article.
- Matter Metrics: The Metrics table displays the total time, expenses, AR, and trust balances for this Matter. For details, see the "Practice & Matter Dashboards" article.
- Matter Details table: This is a snapshot of your Matter information. To edit this data, click the "Edit" button.
The firm feed offers a running history of important information on a Matter. For details, see the "Overview of the Firm Feed" article.
The "Client" sub-tab clearly sets out who your client is. To go to the client's contact card in Clio, simply click on their name.
The "Transactions" sub-tab allows you to add debits and credits to the firm's Trust and Operating accounts. For details, see the "Managing Account Transactions" article.
The "Contacts" tab is where you can add relationships to Contacts that are connected to the Matter but are not the client - i.e. the Judge, Opposing Counsel, Adverse Party, etc. This tab is particularly useful for conflict checking. For details, see the "Adding Related Contacts to a Matter" article.
The "Tasks" sub-tab will show you the firm-wide tasks that are linked to this Matter. You can create tasks here as well. For more information on Tasks, see the "Tasks" article.
The "Calendar" sub-tab will show all calendar appointments linked to this Matter. You can create new appointments here as well. For more information on Calendaring, see the "Calendar" article.
The "Notes" sub-tab allows you to create notes on any topic within a Matter. The notes field holds hundreds of pages of information and is full-text searchable.
The "Time" sub-tab is where you will find the time entries with respect to this Matter. You can view and create time entries here. For details, see the "Creating & Managing Time Entries" article.
In the "Expenses" sub-tab you can enter in reimbursable expenses that will appear on the client's invoice. For details, see the "Managing Expense Entries" article.
You can manage the invoices for this Matter in this sub-tab.
You can upload documents to Clio and link them to a Matter. For details, see the "Documents" article.
The "Communications" sub-tab is where you would go to see and create phone call and email logs; and secure messages. For details, see the "Communications" article.
You can view all the Matter resources that have been shared with your client or contacts. For details, see the "Clio Connect" article.