Matters are the heart of Clio with links to relevant information. This article details the options available to you when managing your Matters.
Matter details and options
- Matter Number/Description: You can customize how your matters are numbered. For more information, see the article on custom matter numbering. To change the matter description, edit the matter.
- Duplicate: Click this button to duplicate the matter. When you duplicate the matter, essential contact and matter details will be duplicated. Information in the matter sub-tabs, including Activities, Calendar, Communications, Notes, Documents, Tasks, Bills, Transactions, and Clio for Co-Counsel, will not be duplicated.
- Share : Click this button to share this matter with a contact via Clio for Co-Counsel/Clio Connect—Clio's secure online portal for sharing documents, tasks, calendar events, and invoices with other attorneys or clients.
- Edit matter: Click Edit to make any changes to the matter information.
- Financial: This section includes information on the time, expenses, and trust funds entered on the Matter, and the outstanding balance owing on bills.
- Contacts: This section includes information on the client, and any related contacts on the matter.
- Details: This is a snapshot of your matter information. To edit this data, click Edit matter.
- Custom Fields: This is a snapshot of custom field information entered on this matter.
- Timeline: The Timeline displays a running history of important actions taken on the matter.
The Activities subtab displays time and expenses entered on the matter. You can also add time and expenses here.
The Calendar subtab displays calendar entries for this matter. You can add calendar entries and court rules here.
The Communications subtab displays phone and email logs, as well as secure messages relevant to the matter. You can also add logs or send messages here.
The Notes subtab displays notes entered on the matter. You can also add notes here. Notes can be used to document important information and keep everyone at the firm up to date with new developments on the matter.
The Documents subtab displays the matter's document folder and all the documents inside. You can also add documents or create documents via document automation here.
The Tasks subtab displays tasks related to the matter. You can also add new tasks here and track the status of tasks.
The Bills subtab displays bills related to the matter.
The Transactions subtab displays movements of matter-related funds. This includes trust deposits, bill payments, etc. You can disburse funds, transfer funds, or enter another type of transaction here.
Clio for Co-Counsel/Clio Connect
The Clio for Co-Counsel subtab displays matter-specific resources (documents, calendar entries, etc) that you've shared. You can stop sharing them on this page if you want to remove access.