When opening a Matter, you link it to a Client, either by choosing from an existing person in Clio or creating a new Contact. If you create a duplicate Client entry, you may end up having Matters linked with both of these Clients (when there should only be one). Or, you may accidentally open two Matters when you should only have opened one.
You should be able to open a Client card in Clio and see all Matters attached to that person. For instance, on the page for our Client, Jack Hale, we can see the two Matters he has with our firm:
What if you have two Contacts created for the same person? In this case, we've done a search for "Jack Hale":
As there is not an option to "merge" two Contacts together, this must be done manually.
Click on the 'Edit' quick link of the Contact with fewer Matters or less associated information. By adding a "2" in the Last Name field, you'll be able to differentiate between the two, which will be necessary later on.
Next, access the secondary Contact and you will see his associated Matter. Click on the "Edit" button under this entry.
In the "Find Client" field, delete the "2" and select the "Jack Hale" that you're keeping.
To ensure that all information that was linked to "Jack Hale2" is moved over to the Jack Hale that will remain in the system, go through each Contact sub-tab for him and "Edit" items to choose the correct Matter. You will also want to make sure that all Contact Information has been copied over.
Once you are done, you can delete "Jack Hale2" to finish the process.
When dealing with Matters, you have the advantage of seeing differing Matter Numbers.
In this example, I will be transferring the Time Entries from Matter "00342" to Matter "00341".
- Select the Time tab within the duplicate Matter.
- Once in the Time Tab, select Edit on each Time Entry. If there are too many entries to move individually, skip ahead for steps on how to edit in bulk.
- Select the Matter field, and type in the correct number. Select the Matter from the list.
- Once the Matter has been selected, click Save Time Entry.
- Review the following tabs:
Re-assign any entries in these tabs in the same way.
Alternately, if there are too many entries to move individually, you may wish to move the Time Entries in bulk.
- Click "Select All" on the left hand side of the Time tab.
- Select Edit from the Action drop-down.
- Then, click Apply.
- Once the correct Matter has been noted in the Matter field, check off the "I confirm that I've read..." box, and then click Save Time Entries.
After selecting to Save, the Time Entries will be under the correct Matter.