A Matter's status is used to indicate what stage your case is in; if it is Open, Pending, or Closed, and it also assists in sorting.
Open Matters - When creating a new Matter in Clio, the default status is Open. These are any cases you are actively working on.
Closed Matters - When editing a Matter, you have the option of changing the Matter status to Closed. These are any cases you are no longer working on.
Pending Matters - When editing a Matter, you can change the status from Open or Closed to Pending. Below are a couple examples of how our clients utilize the Pending status:
- As a status prior to Opening: this can help those Clio users that may have prospective matters that have not been fully realized. If your firm is considering a case, or is actively working to develop a Client, your firm may want to start a Matter to record within Clio any work made towards closing this Client.
- As a status between Open and Closed: When preparing to Close a Matter, your firm can use the Pending status as an in-between classification.
You can set the Matter Status when first creating the Matter, or at any time after by changing the Status on the Matter page.
When first created Matters have a status of Open by default. If this is not the status you wish to have, for example you may prefer a status of Pending initially, you can click inside the Status field and change it. You can also make this change when editing the Matter at any time. You can additionally change the Open Date when modifying the Status.
You can set a Matter's Status to "Closed" in three different ways:
1. Edit the Matter and select the "Closed" status.
2. Update Matter status when viewing the Matter details.
3. When receiving payment towards the final outstanding invoice on a Matter, you are also provided the option of closing the Matter.
Either when creating the Matter or when editing the Matter, you can change the Status to Pending. In addition to this, you can also modify the Pending status date.
To ensure Matters can be accessed efficiently, each Matter Status is broken out into separate sub-tabs under the Matters page.
When first visiting the Matters page, by default you are brought to the list of Open Matters. This can be seen under the Open sub-tab at the upper left of the page. These are either newly created Matters, or Matters that are still actively being worked on.
The next sub-tab that can be selected is Closed. Under this sub-tab all Closed Matters are held.
The following sub-tab is Pending. This will display all Matters with a current status of "Pending" applied.
The final sub-tab is All. Beneath this tab all Matters are held regardless of status. Open, Closed, and Pending.
If you wish to further filter this list, click on Filter on the far right. Here you can filter by Responsible Attorney, Billable Status, Practice Area, Permissions, and Custom Fields. Searching by Search Term will allow you to search for text that appears in the Matter Display Number field.