Before reading this article, please ensure you have first completed your Step 1: Set Up, and that you would like to continue with the Workspace View. Do not complete this if you are setting up a Folder view.
Your NetDocuments account must be configured in order to work with the Clio integration in the Workspace view, therefore we've outlined the below steps. If you have any questions regarding these steps or if your account is set up differently, please feel free to contact NetDocuments Support for assistance.
Setting Up NetDocuments
Defining Document Types
Reviewing and Adding Default Sub-Folders
Defining your Clio Matter Numbers in NetDocuments
Completing the Clio SetUp
Linking your Clio Matters to NetDocuments
The below steps are for a brand new NetDocuments account. If you have an existing account, please contact your NetDocuments representative for assistance with configuring.
- Go to the Admin Panel for your account.
- Click "Define Profile Attributes":
- Click "Add" and add an attribute for "Person" (must use lookup table):
- Click on "Add" again, and add an attribute for "Case" (must use lookup table, and should set "Link to parent" to Person
- Click on "Add" again and add an attribute for "Document Type" (must use lookup table). Once added, click on Continue at the bottom of the screen.
- Click “Add a cabinet” to create a cabinet for storing documents (this is the cabinet that will be linked to Clio and can be named as you wish):
- On the Cabinet Administration page for this cabinet, scroll down to the "Configurable Document Attributes" section and check the boxes for "Person", "Case", and "Document Type":
Then scroll to the bottom and click "Submit".
- Go back into the Cabinet you just created by clicking on the name. At the top left, click on "Define workspace templates":
- Set the following:
- For "Base workspaces on this attribute", select "Case"
- For "Organize documents within workspaces by this attribute", choose "Document Type"
- Check the “Enable workspaces in this cabinet”
- Click “Save Templates”
This will set up the sub-folders you see that you can store documents within.
- Select "Admin" at the upper right
- From "Admin" open the Cabinet your Clio integration is set up with
- Highlight "Document Type" and choose "Edit":
- Click on "Add Document Type" and enter in the name of the folder:
Then click "Close" at the bottom when you are finished. When setting up Sub-folders in NetDocuments you are creating personal folders to store files.
Setting up Document Types
You do have the ability to set folders as the "default" so that when you create the link to Clio, the folders will show up automatically. To do so, go to the Admin panel and open the Cabinet that you are linking to Clio. Then at the top left, click on "Define Workspace Templates". Near the bottom, click on "Pre-Define Document Type Workspace Filters":
Choose the Document Type from the list and click "Select":
Do this step for all folders you want to make the default. When you are finished, scroll up and click on "Save Templates":
- From "Admin" at the top of the page, open the Cabinet your Clio integration is set up with
- Click on "Define Workspace Templates" at the top left
- At the bottom of the page you will see the default folders that will appear in the Clio Matters when the integration is connected
- To add new folders select "Pre-Define Document Type Workspace Filters"
- Then, choose the folder yo add as the default, and click "Select"
- You will now see it in the Template list
- To save any changes, scroll up the page and click "Save Templates"
Within the Workspace Template, you can define the Workspace title, which will be responsible for naming/numbering your Clio Matters within NetDocuments (this does not affect any Matter Numbering settings within Clio). An example is below:
The benefit of setting this up before you link your Clio Matters to Clio is that a change to the Workspace Title will not change any Matters you link to NetDocuments - so it's best to set this up at the start. For assistance on making this change or discussing your current numbering, please speak to your NetDocuments representative.
Since you are choosing the Workspace view, in the Set up page choose "View by Workspaces" and then "Save Changes":
Your Clio account is now linked to NetDocuments.
- Open the Clio Matter and click on the "Documents" sub-tab and choose "NetDocuments":
- In this next step, your choices may look different based on your Profile Attributes set in NetDocuments. For example, I have set up my Profile Attributes to include “People” and “Cases” in NetDocuments. That means in Clio I will need to link a NetDocuments Person and a NetDocuments Matter:
For assistance with setting and understanding your own Profile Attributes in NetDocuments, please contact NetDocuments Support.
- If the Person has not yet been created in NetDocuments, click on "Create a new Person in NetDocuments". Then choose "Create":
- You will see the Person is now linked and do the same for the Matter:
- This Matter is now linked to NetDocuments so Documents that are uploaded in either interface will show in the other. You may see folders automatically created based on your Workplace Template Settings:
For assistance in understanding and setting up your Workplace Template attributes, please contact NetDocuments Support.
For instructions on using NetDocuments with Clio, see the "NetDocuments: How to use the Integration" article.