What is a Bill Theme?
A Bill Theme is a pre-determined set of customizations that users can choose. You can create as many themes as you need to accommodate the reporting requirements of your clients.
To create or edit a Bill Theme, go to the Clio Settings panel and click on "Billing" in the Clio Settings column. On the Bill Settings page, click the "Bill Themes" sub-tab, then click into the theme you want to modify or click the "New Theme" button.
Note that if you want a theme to be applied to all bills automatically, you will have to set that theme as the default. Alternately, you can specify a different theme directly on a bill. Click here for instructions.
Breakdown of a Bill Theme
Here you will see an invoice with numbers correlating to options available in Bill Themes. Click on an option below to see where you can manage it in your Bill Themes.
- Firm Name
- Firm Address
- Invoice Header
- Invoice Title
- Invoice Details
- Client Information
- Statement of Accounts
- Matter Heading
- Matter Tables
- Detailed Statement of Account
- Client Account Details
- Invoice Footer
- Payment Profile
- Page Numbers
- Logo: Click here for steps to uploading your logo to Clio.
To show the logo within the Bill Theme, follow the path below and choose the justification and height.
- Firm Name: To show (or not show) your firm name, follow the path below. You can also determine the style of your title and if you want a border and the color choices. Under "Spacing" you can choose the spacing between the firm name and address:
- Firm Address: To include the Firm address, follow the path below:
Firm Phone Number (Phone, Fax and Email): To include the Firm phone number, fax or email follow the path in the screenshot above. To add your firm contact information to Clio, account administrators can follow the instructions here.
In addition to your firm's address the Country will be listed if you are invoicing a Client who is addressed in a country different from your own. This can be set when creating the Contact. More information on creating Contacts and Address information can be seen here.
You can also opt to input a Law Firm ID, a Tax ID, or GST Number, you can do so on your Account Information page. More on this can be seen here.
- Invoice Header: To include an invoice header, follow the path below:
- Invoice Title: To include an invoice title, follow the path below. You can also choose the typography and if you want to replace the text, see instructions under Localizations at the end of this article.
- Invoice Details: To show or hide Invoice details, follow the path below:
To add a "Purchase Order" and "Subject" to a Bill, go inside an invoice and click "Edit", then enter the appropriate information:
- Client Information: To include the client phone number and determine spacing following client information, as well as formatting the client information follow the path below:
- Statement of Accounts: The Summary Statement is a snapshot of what the client owes minus payments and amounts being held in your accounts. It also shows the Total Amount Outstanding. You can choose where the Statement of Account is placed on the invoice, the title, as well as what information you see by following the path below:
- Matter Heading: You can include the matter name, matter number and determine the spacing between both by following the path below. You can also include the Client Reference Number if you use this field in your matters:
- Matter Tables
Matter Line Items: You have great flexibility in what is shown on your bill with respect to services and expenses. Follow the path below to change the settings noted:
Matter Columns: You can re-order the columns and determine which you wish to see/not see. Follow the path below to change these settings for Services/Combined (if you have not separated your Services from Expenses), for Expenses and for Products:
Attorney Summary: You can add an Attorney Summary by following the path below:
Clio Payments: You can show a "Credit Card Payment History" table on your bills below the line item table.
- Interest: The Interest section will only appear on past due bills where you have set up your Payment Profiles to charge interest after the grace period. The Bill Theme shows you where the Interest section will be located on bills that will be charged interest, and will not display on the invoices until the interest parameters have been met. To learn more about setting up interest click here.
- Detailed Statement of Account: The Detailed Statement of Account will show past due invoices along with any partial payments made to same and highlights the Outstanding Balance. You can choose to include it, alter the title and determine if you would like all matters under a client to show or not by following the path below:
- Client Account Details: The Client Account Information shows client balances you are holding in your accounts. To include a detailed listing, choose "Account Details". If you do so, you can change the text for the Receipts and Payments if you choose. If you would like a one-line summary of the client account balance, then choose "Account Summary". Please note that the above is for Trust Accounts. Should you choose to include Operating Account information, you must choose "Include Operating Account History". To alter your settings follow the path below:
- Invoice Footer: To show the payable statement and the invoice note applied to all invoices, as well as make direct format changes, please follow the path below:
- Payment Profile: To show the payment profile terms including grace period, discount, and interest notes applied to all invoices, as well as make direct format changes including not showing the profiles, please follow the path below:
- Page Numbers: To show the page numbers in the footer, follow the path shown below and check the box beside "Show Page Numbers".
Envelope-Friendly Format: By following the path below you can set up the margins and typography for the invoice, and make it envelope-friendly for #10 left-windowed envelopes:
Localizations: The Localizations feature allow you to change the name for every heading in your Invoice.
Table Configuration: The table configuration is the settings for the table(s) that your services and expenses are in. Follow the path below to change your settings for the Heading and the Odd and Even rows:
Table Heading Alignment: Additionally, you can specify the alignment justification of column headers for your Matter, Interest and Statement of Accounts tables.
Remittance Slip: You can add a remittance slip to your invoice and to do so, follow the path below. Separate remittance notes can be specified for bills and Statements of Account.
Summary Note: The Summary Note will appear below the Summary Statement provided that the Summary Statement is not hidden and the "Show Summary Note" box is checked.