We offer Clio Sync for Outlook, which offers full bi-directional synchronization of Clio's and Outlook's calendar, contacts and tasks. This is available as a Windows application. This tool supports versions 2000-2013. It does not support 2016-2019.
The Outlook Desktop sync tool will sync "Your Calendar" in Clio with your primary Outlook calendar. If you need to sync other Clio calendars with Outlook, you can use the Office 365 Calendar Sync.
Note: Clio Sync will not work with Outlook configurations that do not store a local copy of the user's information in either an OST or PST file. See our Article on "Using Clio Sync with Outlook Exchange" for information.
Things to remember:
- To avoid creating duplicates, please note the following:
- If your firm already shares a common contact list in Outlook (via an Exchange server, for example), ensure that you enable contact syncing for only one Clio Sync user (for information on how to do this, see the "Applications" heading below).
- If you already sync Outlook with Google and Google with Clio, do not install Clio Sync. This would create a loop of Outlook <> Google <> Clio <> Outlook, which could result in many, many duplicates being created.
- Contacts in Clio are shared between all users at your firm. To avoid uploading personal contacts to Clio (and sharing them with your co-workers), you must move them from the default contacts folder to a different folder. A good Microsoft Support article on creating and managing contact folders can be found in Microsoft's Support Article on "Creating a Contact Group." Clio Sync will only sync contacts that are found in the root of the default Contacts folder.
- Clio Sync will always sync with the default Outlook data file. This is true even if you change your default data file after setting up the sync - Clio Sync will sync with whichever data file is currently the default. Clio's "Changing the Default Outlook Data File" Support Article describes how to change the default Outlook data file.
- For Calendar items to transfer, they must have a subject. In order for calendar events to transfer properly there must be something in the Subject field of the event. For further troubleshooting steps, see Clio's "Troubleshooting Clio Sync with Outlook" Support Article.
- When you connect a Clio Calendar to Outlook using the desktop sync, you will not be able to link that Calendar to an Office 365 account later. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require help with this.
Watch the "Clio Sync 101 instructional video" for more information.
Setting Up Clio Sync for Outlook
Backup your Data
Before installing the Clio Sync for Outlook application, create backups of information in Clio and Outlook
Since Clio Sync for Outlook changes both your Clio and Outlook-based data, we recommend making a backup of your Outlook data prior to using Clio Sync for Outlook for the first time.
Backing up your contact information from Clio is as simple as saving your firm's contact file, which can be seen on Clio's "Exports"page.
Download and install Clio Sync
Download Clio Sync and install it on the same computer that Outlook is installed on.
*Please use Google Chrome or Firefox to download the installer.
Configuring Clio Sync for Outlook
To open the Clio Sync settings menu, search for the "Clio Sync Setup" application from your available programs.
Click on "Settings" to begin configuring Clio Sync. The first step is to enter your Clio login credentials (these are the same as the credentials you use to log in to Clio).
Click "Next" and on the next screen click "Configure" to set sync configuration options.
Each tab is explained in detail below.
The Transfer Method screen allows you to configure the nature of the sync between Clio and Outlook.
Synchronize changes both ways - This will sync changes both ways between Clio and Outlook - any additions, modifications, or deletions made in one will propagate to the other.
Add Outlook info to Clio - Information from Outlook will be transferred to Clio. No information from Clio will transfer to the Outlook.
Add Clio info to Outlook - Information is transferred from Clio to Outlook. No records are transferred from Outlook to Clio.
On this page you can select which types of data to synchronize with Clio. To disable synchronizing one type of data, uncheck the box. If no option is checked, no data will be synchronized between Outlook and Clio.
This page is used to control the propagation of deletions. The default behaviour is to have deletions propagate both ways, i.e. a record deleted in Clio will be deleted from Outlook and vice versa.
This tab is used to control whether Clio Sync will automatically sync Outlook and Clio and, if so, how frequently it will sync.
Synchronize once each day - Select the time at which you want to begin the sync. Use the drop-down menus to determine the hour, minute and AM/PM.
Synchronize every ... hours - Select the interval time in hours in which you want to automatically sync.
Synchronize when the computer is started - This setting will synchronize your data when Windows is started. If you restart your computer, your data will be synchronized upon the restart, whether you have synchronized that day already or not.
Synchronize manually - Open Clio Sync Setup and select the Synchronize button on the Main Screen to sync.
Step 4: Sync!
Further Troubleshooting FAQs can be seen on the "Troubleshooting Clio Sync with Outlook" Support Article.