You can combine multiple matters of a client into a single bill.
First, decide if you would like all of the payments that you apply to the bill be shown as one combined line item, or if you would prefer the payments to the different matters appear as separate line items on the bill. The default has them shown together, but if you would like them separated, follow these steps:
- Go to the Clio Settings panel and click on "Billing" in the Clio Settings column. On the Bill Settings page, click the "Bill Themes" sub-tab
- Click into the bill theme you wish to change
- In the options menu, select Matter, then in the next menu that pops up, select Line Items
- Check off the box beside Show Individual Matter Payments
What is the difference on the combined bill once payment is made?
- Go to Bills > Billable Clients
- Check off the Bills you want to generate and click on "Generate":
- In the Generate Bills page chose the box that reads "Combine multiple matters for a given client into a single bill" and then click on the "Generate Bills" button:
- Now you will see your combined bill:
- Go to Bill
- Click on "Receive Payment"
- Select the appropriate Source account to indicate where the funds are coming from, and update the Payment amount if making a partial payment.
Note that when selecting an account as the payment source, you will only be able to select funds that have been added through the client.
Clio will distribute the funds to the first matter, then any remaining amounts to the other matter(s).
Click "Expand" to show the payment details for each matter which will give you control over where the payment for each matter is coming from (Source) and the Payment amount you are applying.
When paying a Matter specific amount, you are able to choose from either funds that have been deposited at the client level or funds that have been allocated specifically to the Matter being billed.
- Please Note that if you are holding funds that are less than what is owed, you must change the "Amount" in the column on the right to be equal to or less than the funds you are holding on behalf of the client.
- Choose "Receive Payment".
You will now see the payment noted under the "Payments" tab of the bill: