Clio’s Task Workflow offers a streamlined way to assign a list of Tasks to each Matter to assure that your firm has complied with the anti-money laundering legislation in the UK and Ireland.
This Anti-Money Laundering Task List would allow you to keep track of questions that must be routinely addressed when taking on a new Client.
Simplified Due Diligence Tasks would include:
- Identifying the client
- Obtaining proof of identity
- Verifying identification with a Utility Bill
- Keeping documentation on file for 5 years
However, you can make the list as complex as you would like, in alignment with your firm’s current practices and the the guidelines established by the Law Society of Ireland or the Law Society of England and Wales.
1. To create the Task List, go to the Tasks page and click the Lists link
3. Click the green Add button on the right hand side.
In the Add List Template window, you will find the following fields:
1. Name: This is a title to summarize the list of Tasks, in this case, ‘‘Anti-Money Laundering’
2. Description: You may choose to include relevant information here, for example, the purpose of the Task List
3. Practice Area: You can select the appropriate area of law relating to the list, and you will be able to use this to ‘Filter’ through the lists as well
After you have clicked ‘Save List Template,’ you will able to add Tasks, which can in turn be assigned en masse to a Matter.
To add Tasks to the Template, simply click on the Name of the Task List.
On the following page, you will able to view the List Detail, as well as all Tasks that have been added to this Template. Click the green ‘Add’ button, to add a Task.
In the Add Task Template Window, you will be able to create Tasks to associate with this Task List.
In the above example, you will see a Task Template is being added to the Anti-Money Laundering Checklist.
1. The Task Name is ‘Identify the Client’
2. Description includes factors that your firm may choose to note in terms of identification (name, date of birth, family circumstances, addresses, employment, career, contact with the authorities, physical appearance).
3. When creating the Task Template, you will also have the option of choosing a particular Assignee within your firm, or choosing ‘Use List Assignee’ which will designate the assignee of the Task upon assignment of the List.
4. Additionally, you have the option of choosing how many days this particular Task will be ‘Due In’, in relation to when the Task List Template is assigned to a Matter, or in regards to other Tasks on the list.
5. When ready, click Save Task Template.
Here is the completed Task List Template for basic Anti-Money Laundering Procedures:
As you will see above, the 3 of the items in the Task List are due immediately when taking on a new Client and assigning the Task List Template for the Matter (‘Assigment Date’). The Task to ‘Keep Client’s Documentation on File for 5 Years’ has a due date in 5 year (1825 days) from when the List is assigned.
To assign this list of Tasks to Matter, you may click ‘Assign’ at the top-right of of the List Detail:
This will pull up an ‘Assign List’ window, allowing you to:
1. Choose an Assignee in the Firm
2. Replace all assignees for Tasks that were not set with the ‘List Assignee’
3. Establish a Due Date
4. Select a Matter
Once the Tasks have been assigned, they will be viewable on your ‘Upcoming’ page in Tasks.
Notice that the items for which were due on the Assignment Date are due immediately, and the Task to keep the documentation on file is due in 5 years.
Once the necessary steps have been carried out to perform each Task, they may be marked as complete.