The Practice and Matter dashboards are intended to give you a snapshot of pertinent information related to your overall Practice and specific matters.
The Practice Dashboard is the screen that you are presented with when logging in to Clio and provides at-a-glance metrics to help you evaluate your performance. The Agenda sections offers a glance at the number of Tasks and Events in your calendar for the day.
The Billing Metrics section contains billing information for the entire firm, but all other sections of the Practice Dashboard pertain to you (the specific logged-in user) only.
- Tasks Due Today:
This is the number of Tasks that are assigned to you and due today. Click the button to add a Task.
- Calendar Events:
This is the number of Events that you have scheduled today. Click the button to add an event.
- Billable Hours Target:
To set up your Billable Hours Target, click the button to go to the Practice Performance page.
The "Today" metric will give you a visual representation of your hourly goals (shown in grey) against your input information (shown in blue). As you progress through your day, you will see a blue circle indicate how close you are to achieving your goal. Similar metrics will be seen for "This Week", "This Month" and "This Year" in the Billable Hours Target widget.
- Billing Metrics:
This section shows the number of bills and dollar totals that you have in each bill state: Draft, Awaiting Payment, and Overdue. Click the buttons to view your bills.
- Performance Metrics:
The Performance graphs are based on activity (time) entered into Clio (billed and unbilled) to date for the fiscal year and are plotted relative to the annual performance targets. The calculations in each graph are based on a 260 day year to account for weekends. Expense items are not included.
- Actual - Billable time you have entered during a 24 hour day.
- Expected - Calculated for data entered today.
- Target - Your daily goal.
- Actual - In the "This Week" graph this would be time entered during a 5 day week.
- Expected - In the "This Week" graph this would be calculated over a 5 day week.
- Target - In the "This Week" graph this would display a target for a 5 day week.
- Actual - The "This Month" graph is calculated by taking your "This Year" metric (260 day year) and dividing it by 12 months.
- Expected - The "This Month" graph is calculated by taking your "This Year" metric (260 day year) and dividing it by 12 months.
- Target - The "This Month" graph is calculated by taking your "This Year" metric (260 day year) and dividing it by 12 months.
- Actual - The "This Year" graph is based on a 260 day year.
- Expected - The "This Year" graph is based on a 260 day year.
- Target - This Year's target is adjusted to account for weekends, and will display a target for a 260 day year.
What is the difference between "Actual", "Expected", and "Target"?
"Actual" measures the activity (time) added and billed in Clio during the period presented in the graph.
Example: If on each Monday and Tuesday this week you enter $500.00 worth of billable time, and on Wednesday you enter $300.00 worth of time, in the "This Week" graph your Actual will be $1,300.00.
"Expected" is your Target divided by 24hrs and calculated based on how many hours have passed in the day.
Example: If your "Today's" Target is $800.00, and it is 4pm, your Expected billed amount will be $533.33. This is how much you will have needed to have billed by 4pm to be on track for your Target.
"Target" calculates the average quantity of billable activity required in order to meet the performance target over a given interval.
Example: If your Target Billings in your Practice Performance settings is $150,000.00, in the "This Month" modal your Target could be $12,500.00. As there are 12 months in the year, your Practice Performance target is divided by 12.
Detailed Annual Report: Your performance is primarily a function of two factors: the performance targets you set, and the total amount of entered billable activity (time billed and unbilled) over a given interval. In order to improve your performance measures, you can lower your performance targets, or increase your billable activity. Your Target will be set in the Practice Performance page, and is a personal estimation of what you want to bill over a 12 month span. This is represented by the black line on the graph. Your selected 12 month span can be adjusted by modifying your Fiscal Year End Date. For details, see the "Setting Practice Performance Targets" support article.
Your Actual is an accurate representation of the billable time you have entered during the year. This is represented by the blue line on the graph.
*Note that days used in calculations are business days. Weekends are not included. Only Time Entries are included in calculations.
- Performance Metrics graphs are only visible if the user has both Billing and Reports permissions, and if their Billing Rate Visibility is set to "All". For details on permissions settings, see the "User Permissions" article. For details on billing rate visibility, see the "Permissions for Billing Rates" article.
- Billing Metrics are only visible to users with Billing and Reports permissions. For steps on modifying user permissions, see the "User Permissions" article.
- If a user is an administrator they will be able to see the metrics.
- Total ($): Shows the total value of all time entered on the Matter.
- Total (Hours): Shows the total number of hours entered on the Matter.
- Total Expenses: Shows the total value of expenses spent on the Matter.
- Accounts Receivable ($): Shows the total amount currently outstanding on invoices for the Matter.
- Client Trust Funds ($): Shows the total amount of funds currently held under the Contact's Transactions tab.
- Matter Trust Funds ($): Shows the total amount of funds currently held under the Matter's Transactions tab.
You will again see the option to click the icon to add Time and Expenses.
- Matter Dashboard metrics will be hidden if the user has Billing Rate Visibility set to "None", or "Limited", or if the user does not have Billing Permissions.
- More on Billing Rate Visibility can be read in the Permissions for Billing Rates Support Article. More on Billing Permissions can be read in the User Permissions Support Article.