There are 2 ways in Clio that you can send a bill to your clients: via email and via Clio Connect.
This article details the general steps for sending a bill in Clio.
Accounts that have connected to Clio Payments will also be able to offer their clients the ability to pay their bills online. More information below.
To send a bill with your client, navigate to an invoice or bill state then click on the Send button.
This will open your sending options.
- Select Contacts for Sending: The Matter client will automatically populate in the Select Contacts field. To choose additional contacts, start typing a contact's name in the field and select the appropriate contact when from the dropdown.
- Select Bill Recipients: to receive future bills associated with the Matter.
- Use Bill Message Templates: Create and send personalized messages along with your bills or balance requests.
- Select Notification Method: Select whether the bill should be sent by email or via Clio Connect.
- Send Email Preview: Click to send an email preview of the bill to yourself.
Once a bill has been sent, the date will populate in the 'Last Sent' column.
Your clients will have a Secure Link to download their bills in PDF format. To learn more about this feature please visit this article.
When you send a bill via Clio Connect, your client will receive an email notification with a link to the bill in Clio Connect. If this is the first time that your client is accessing Clio Connect, they will have to setup a password before being able to view the bill.
For more information about what your client will see when viewing a bill in Clio Connect, see the Working with Bills in Clio Connect article. You can also re-send bills to your clients. To learn more about re-sending bills please visit this article.
You can easily share multiple invoices at once by following the below steps. When sent this way, each invoice will be sent to the Client in its own email.
- Navigate to the main Bills tab
- Select Unpaid
- Use the checkboxes to select the Bills you would like to share
- Click the Send button at the top of the Bills table
- Select the applicable options in the Send Item window
- Select Send Bills
To send one email with the links to multiple Bills for one Client (Bills can be from one Matter or multiple Matters), follow these steps:
- Navigate to the main Bills tab
- Click the Outstanding Balances subtab along the top
- Click Send beside the Client's name (the Client's name will only be shown one time, even if they have multiple outstanding Bills, over one or multiple Matters)
- Fill in Contacts and Add a message if you'd like
- Click Send email preview to myself before sending to the Client, to receive a preview of the email your Client will receive
- Click Send client balance when ready to send to the Client
Clio Payments allows you to connect an existing LawPay account or apply for an account within Clio to accept credit cards and give your clients the ability to pay bills via a secure link.
For more information about Clio Payments, see our Clio Payments related articles.
Automated bill reminders will enable you to collect more, by emailing your clients informing them of their outstanding bills or balances. This is a great way to improve your collections and professionally follow up with your clients ensuring you are paid. For more information, please see our Automated Bill Reminders article.