In Clio you have the ability to indicate which practice areas your Matters should be assigned to. These fields can be used for filtering purposes, or just for reference.
- Go to the Settings menu by clicking the cog wheel on the left navigation menu
- Click Firm Preferences
- Select Practice Areas
- Click the blue Add practice area button
- Type in your desired practice area
- Click Save
Your new practice area will now be visible in the practice area list.
- Go to the Matter you want to assign the practice area to and click Edit.
- From the Edit screen of the Matter, click into the Practice Area field and select (or search for) your desired practice area.
- Once your area is selected, click Save matter at the bottom of the screen.
You may wish to remove a practice area if your firm ceases to support certain types of cases, or if you notice a duplicate practice area. To remove the practice area, follow these steps:
- Go to the Settings menu and click Firm Preferences
- Click on Practice Areas
- Click the Delete button under the practice area to remove it
Note: Any Practice Areas that have been assigned to Matters will only support the ability to be Edited and will not show a Delete option.
In order to delete a practice area which is being used, you will need to remove it from the Matters it has been applied to.
First, go to the Matters page and switch from Open to All. This will pull in all existing Matters. Then click on "Filter" on the right hand side. Under "Practice Area" either scroll through the list to find the appropriate field, or select the field from the list. Then click Apply filters.
Edit the Matter(s) to change the practice area. The practice area can be deleted from Clio once it isn't in use with any Matter.