In Clio you have the ability to indicate which Practice Areas your Matters should be assigned to. These fields can be used for filtering purposes, or just for reference.
Creating a Practice Area
Applying a Practice Area to a Matter
Removing a Practice Area
- Click on the gear icon at the upper right of your Clio page to access Settings.
- Under the column "Clio Settings" on the right, click on "Practice".
- At the upper right of this page, click on "Practice Areas".
- From here you will see a list of your existing Practice Areas. To start creating new Practice Areas, click on the green "Add" button on the right.
- Name your Practice Area, and click "Save". You will then see this area has been added to your list.
- The first step is to locate your Matter to be modified. To do this, click on Matters at the top of Clio, and click "Edit" under the Matter you wish to apply this Practice Area to.
- From the Edit screen of the Matter, scroll down to the Practice Area section. Click inside the "Practice Area" field, and either type the name to search for the field, or scroll down through your list.
- Once your area is selected, scroll to the bottom and click Update Matter.
You may wish to remove a practice area if your firm ceases to support certain types of cases, or if you notice a duplicate Practice Area. To remove the Practice Area, follow these steps:
- Return to the Practice Area in Settings.
Any Practice Areas that have been assigned to Matters will only support the ability to be Edited and will not show a Delete option.
- In order to delete the field you will need to remove the Practice Area from the Matters it has been applied to. First go to the Matters page and switch from Open to All. This will pull in all existing Matters. Then click on "Filter" on the right hand side. Under "Practice Area" either scroll through the list to find the appropriate field, or select the field from the list.
- Once you have selected the appropriate Practice Area, you will see your list has shortened to just Matters supporting that field. Click Edit under the Matters on the list.
- Scroll down to Practice Area, and select "Reset".
Scroll to the very bottom of the edit screen, and click "Update Matter".
- Return to the Practice Area page in Settings, and you will now see the ability to delete your Practice Area.
For more information on working with Matters, please see the Support Article here.