Clio's Accounts Receivable Report is designed to help firms determine and quantify amounts outstanding on all open and past due invoices on a per-user, per-client and per-matter basis. The report details amounts due on approved outstanding invoices, partial payments made towards those amounts, and credit notes applied to invoices.
Generate the report
To generate this report:
- In Clio Manage, select Reports in the left navigation menu.
- Click Billing or scroll down to Billing reports and select Accounts receivable.
- Choose from several settings within the report options page to get the information you need for your report.
- Select responsible attorneys: select All responsible attorneys to view report data for all responsible attorneys at your firm, or select Specific responsible attorney to view data for a specific responsible attorney at your firm.
- Select practice area: the default setting for sorting by practice area is All practice areas. You also have the option to choose a Specific practice area.
- Select client/matter: select All clients to view data for all firm clients, select Specific client to view data for a specific client and all the client's matters, or select Specific matter to view data for a single matter.
- Group results by:
- Select Client to categorize results by clients.
- Select Practice area to sort results by assigned practice area. Matters with outstanding balances will be sorted alphabetically in each practice area category.
- Select Attorney to categorize results by the responsible attorney on the matter. You will also see a section for matters with no responsible attorney assigned.
- Select date range: you can filter your report results by choosing to see data in a specific date range. If a date range is specified, you will see transaction data specific to that date range.
- Output format: you can generate this report as a Web, PDF, or CSV version. The Web report will display in your Clio Manage browser window. Both the PDF and CSV file can be downloaded and printed.
Click Generate report.
When this report is generated, it will show outstanding amounts per invoice for each client and matter for your firm. At the bottom of this report, you will see a summarized total.
- Invoice #: this column lists invoice numbers for all bills that are outstanding. If your generated invoice has been approved but is not yet paid, you will see it listed under this column. If the invoice is in draft, it will not appear in this report.
- Status: this column shows "Past Due" if an invoice has gone past its defined grace period or due date, and "Open" if an invoice has been approved but is still within the grace period or due date. For more information regarding grace periods, please see this article.
- Due Date: this column lists the invoice or interest charge due date. If the due date has passed and interest is to be applied as per the payment profile, there will be an additional line in this column that indicates when the next interest charge is due.
- Amount: this column displays the invoice total for each bill. You will also see individual interest charges. It does not include payments, credit notes, or taxes.
- Payments: this column displays bill payments and interest charges from direct payment or payments recorded from operating or trust accounts.
- Credit Notes: this column displays amounts written off on invoices by using the credit notes tool on the bill. For more information on Credit Notes, please see this article.
- Balance: this column displays the dollar amount that is outstanding on the invoice or interest charge, after any payments or credit notes have been applied. This is the amount that still needs to be paid.
- Matter/Client Total: matter total summarize the amounts that are outstanding for the matter. Client total displays the amount owed for interest and original invoice total across each of a client's matters.
- Attorney Total: if you sort the report to be grouped by attorney, you will see an "Attorney Total" for each matter instead of a "Client Total." This total is the total amount summarized for all matters that are assigned to the responsible attorney, including a total for matters not assigned to any responsible attorney.
You can sort or remove columns and rows if you generate the report as a CSV, including sorting by matter number. Learn more about filtering and sorting reports in Excel by reading this article.
Frequently asked questions
If I change the date range to only show invoices outstanding from the beginning of the year, will I be able to see all payments or credits that have been applied since then?
Selecting a date range will show invoices from the last month, the last quarter, or a custom date range that you define. This report will display the current status of invoices (as they stand today) with any payments or credits applied. When filtering, ensure the issue date of your invoices fall within the date range you are defining.
Is there a historical accounts receivable report?
No, not at this time. If you would like to see this as a feature, please contact Clio Support to submit a feature request.