Clio's Accounts Receivable Report is designed to help firms determine and quantify amounts outstanding on all Open and Past Due invoices on a per-user, per-client and per-matter basis. The report details amounts due on approved outstanding invoices, partial payments made towards those amounts, and credit notes applied to invoices.
To generate the Report, first click on the Reports tab at the upper right of your page in the black ribbon. Then, scroll to the Billing Reports section of Reports, and select Accounts Receivable.
Within the Report Options page you have several settings you can choose from to get the information you require on your report:
- Select Attorneys: Select to either display only Matters under a specific Responsible Attorney, or select to display All Attorneys, which will display Matters regardless of their Responsible Attorney. When creating a Matter you can select one user in your firm to be the Responsible Attorney. The Report can be filtered by this option and will show all work performed by all users under those specific Matters.
- Select Report Detail (Client/Matter): Choose if you want to generate the report for all clients, a specific client, or a specific matter. Restricting the report to a single client will ensure that only invoices due under that client's matters will display on your report.
- Group Results: Grouping your results by client will display your clients alphabetically by last name, and companies by name, on your report. Grouping the results by Practice Area will instead display all matters with outstanding invoices in an alphabetical list by Practice Area. Grouping the results by Attorney will instead show which matters underneath which Responsible Attorney have outstanding invoices.
- Select Practice Area: You have the ability to limit the results on your generated Report to a specific Practice Area, or by default you can select to display all Practice Areas. Do note that if you select to report on a single Practice Area, that all matters you wish to display will have to have the Practice Area assigned to it. More on Practice Areas can be read here.
- Select Date Range: Setting a range will restrict selected data to those records bounded by the range. Modifying the Date Range will capture only those invoices whose Issue Date falls within the period selected. Within the period selected it will show the invoices' current or up to date status. Choose the "Custom" option if you want to determine a specific range outside of the default selection.
- Select Report Format: You can generate this report in PDF, .CSV, or Web version. The PDF and .CSV are downloadable files, whereas the Web version will only display in your browser. The advantage of a Web format, is that it will include hyperlinks to the source of the records on your report.
The generated Accounts Receivable Report will display outstanding amounts per invoice for each client and matter for your firm. At the bottom of this report, you will see a summarized total.
The summarized total at the bottom of your Report will display an Attorney Total for all matters that are assigned to a Responsible Attorney, and a Total, which will include matters without an assigned Responsible Attorney.
This report can also be generated in a .CSV format. This can be useful if you wish to further manipulate your report.
In the first column, we will see each outstanding invoice's number is referenced in addition to interest charges being displayed. If your generated invoice has been approved but is not yet paid, you will see it listed under the Invoice column. If the invoice is a Draft, it will not appear as A/R. For more information on interest, please see this Support Article.
Beneath the Status column you will see the status of Past Due is applied to invoices that have gone beyond their defined grace period or due date, and Open will refer to invoices that have been approved but are still within their grace period or due date. For more information regarding grace periods, please see this Support Article.
The Due Date column will show when each invoice, or interest charge, is due. If the due date is passed and interest is to be applied as per the payment profile, we will see an additional line under the Due Date column to indicate when the next interest charge is due.
Payments and Credit Notes
Payments and credit notes are amounts applied towards your invoices for the total amount outstanding, or for the individual interest charges. A Payment would be funds your firm is earning, whereas a Credit Note would be an amount your firm is writing off. For more information on Credit Notes, please see this Support Article.
At the end of each section you will see a summary of the amounts outstanding for the Matter, and if your clients have amounts outstanding for multiple matters, you will also see a separate and different client total.
If my matter is marked non-billable, will invoices still display on this report?
If you have any outstanding bills for this matter, they will display on the Accounts Receivable (A/R) Report. If your matter has been selected as non-billable this will mean that you cannot generate a new invoice for this matter from the Billable Clients page under the Bills tab.
If I change the date-range to only show invoices outstanding from the beginning of the year, will I be able to see all payments or credits that have been applied since then?
Selecting a Date Range will allow you to select to display invoices from the last month, the last quarter, or a custom date range that you define. The Report will display your invoices' current status (as they stand today) with any payments or credits applied. When filtering, ensure the Issue Date of your invoices falls within the date range you are defining.
What if I only want to manipulate the data in this Report?
When generating a Report in a .CSV format you can have additional options for manipulation as sorting, or removing certain columns or rows. For more information on manipulating .CSV, please click here.