Clio's Invoice Payments Report is designed to give firms a detailed view of payments on invoices made towards individual service and expense items and the users responsible for those line items. Corresponding Credits/Overpayments will also be displayed.
To generate the Report, first click on the Reports tab at the upper right of your page in the black ribbon. Then, scroll to the Billing Reports section of Reports, and select Invoice Payments Report.
Within the Report Options page you have several settings you can choose from to get the information you require on your report:
- Select Attorneys: Select to either display only Matters under a specific Responsible Attorney, or select to display All Attorneys, which will display Matters regardless of their Responsible Attorney. When creating a Matter you can select one user in your firm to be the Responsible Attorney. The Report can be filtered by this option and will show all work performed by all users under those specific Matters.
- Select Report Detail (All Clients/Specific Client/Specific Matter): Choose if you want to generate the report for all clients, a specific client, or a specific matter. Restricting the report to a single client will ensure that invoices under any of your selected client's matters will display, where as restricting the report to a single matter will ensure only invoices for that matter will be displayed.
- Select Practice Area: You have the ability to limit the results on your generated Report to a specific Practice Area, or by default you can select to display all Practice Areas. Do note that if you select to report on a single Practice Area, that all matters you wish to display will have to have the Practice Area assigned to it. More on Practice Areas can be read in our Managing Practice Areas Support Article.
- Select Date Range: When restricting your date range, this will affect the information that displays in the columns. The invoices that appear on this Report will adhere to the payment date of the invoice. If you wish your invoice to appear in this report, ensure that the payment date is included in your filtered date range. Choose the "Custom" option if you want to determine a specific range outside of the default selection.
- Select Report Format: You can generate this report in PDF, .CSV, or Web version. The PDF and .CSV are downloadable files, whereas the Web version will only display in your browser. The advantage of a Web format is that it will include hyperlinks to the source of the records on your report.
The generated Invoice Payments Report will display all full and partial payments applied to invoices and the corresponding line items that the payments have been applied to. If there is a partial payment, you will see that payment applied to the oldest line items first.
This report can also be generated in a .CSV format. This can be useful if you wish to further filter your report.
The first item listed in the Transaction column is the source of the payment applied towards the invoice. Below that will be the line items, Services and Expenses, the payment was applied to. You will see next to each line item the attorney responsible for that time or expense listed.
The Credits column will list the charges for line items on the invoice that have been paid by the payment listed under the Debit column. If your invoice is not fully paid, it will only show the line items that the payment was available to be applied to.
Separately, in the final portion of the Invoice Payments Report you will see a summary of funds being earned separated by the users responsible for the entries. The Type column references if this item was a Service or an Expense item. The Description column lists which user created these charges. In the Debit column we see a summary of all payments made towards invoices, and under the Credit column we see the payments are separated by user's billable work amounts.
After the listed Services you will see a summary of Interest charges, a summary of Expenses, a summary of Products and taxes. Overpayments will also be listed.
If my matter is non-billable, will invoices for those matters still display on this report?
If you have any outstanding bills for this matter they will display in this report as long as they have been approved. This will be regardless of whether or not the matter is currently set as billable. If your matter has been selected as non-billable this will mean that you cannot generate a new invoice for this matter from the Billable Clients page under the Bills tab.
What if I only want to manipulate the data in this Report?
When generating a Report in a .CSV format you can have additional options for manipulation as sorting, or removing certain columns or rows. For more information on manipulating .CSV, please see our Basic Techniques for Filtering and Sorting in Excel Support Article.