Clio's Client Ledger Report is designed to give firms a detailed view of your client's transactions which include payments, payment sources, and transfers, which matter and invoice they pertain to, and a total of the funds applied.
To generate the Report, first click on the Reports tab at the upper right of your page in the black ribbon. Then, scroll to the Client Reports section of Reports, and select Client Ledger.
Within the Report Options page you have several settings you can choose from to get the information you require on your report:
- Show Clients with a zero balance: Selecting this option will display all clients on your report regardless of a currently held account balance. Without selecting this option, you will only see clients that currently hold an account balance.
- Select Report Detail (All Clients/Specific Client): Choose if you want to generate the report for all clients, or a specific client. Restricting the report to a single client will ensure that Transactions only under your selected client will display, where as restricting the report to All Clients will ensure Transactions under all clients and matters will display.
- Select Practice Area: You have the ability to limit the results on your generated Report to a specific Practice Area, or by default you can select to display all Practice Areas. Do note that if you select to report on a single Practice Area, that all matters you wish to display under your clients will have to have the Practice Area assigned to it. More on Practice Areas can be read the "Managing Practice Areas" article.
- Select Date Range: When restricting your date range, this will affect the information that displays in the columns. Transactions that appear will have been logged between the dates that are specified. Choose the "Custom" option if you want to determine a specific range outside of the default selection.
- Include Opening Balance: This option is particularly useful if there is a Date Range selected. If you opt to include the Opening Balance when restricting your date range, it will carry over the balance from outside of your specified range to assist in balancing your figures. If you do not select to include the Opening Balance, your view will be restricted to only display Transactions logged between your specified dates. Opting to include an Opening Balance without a date restriction will cause the Opening Balance to display as zero dollars as this is the beginning of the ledger.
- Display Bank Account Summary: Including the Bank Account Summary will display your bank account's current balance. If you select a date range when generating this report your Opening Balance will display a summary of your transactions prior to the range you have selected, and your Closing Balance will be your account's current balance as of the end of the range selected.
- Display Matter to Matter Transfer Transactions: Matter to Matter Transfers are funds moving within the same account between Matter Balances, or to the Client balance. These Transfers could be to correct for a balance, or to make funds available for a different matter. You can opt to include these transfers, but by default they will not display.
- Select Report Format: You can generate this report in PDF, .CSV, or Web version. The PDF and .CSV are downloadable files, whereas the Web version will only display in your browser. The advantage of a Web format is that it will include hyperlinks to the source of the records on your report.
The generated Client Ledger Report will display all transactions under clients and matters.
This report can also be generated in a .CSV format. This can be useful if you wish to further filter your report.
The Source/Recipient column will reflect data input in the "Source/Recipient" field on the New Transaction window. This will also outline payment details when funds are applied towards an invoice.
The Matter column references the matter that the transaction is attached to. If you pay an invoice under your client's matter, the matter ID will be attached to the transaction and displayed on this report.
The Funds Out column references funds withdrawn from the account. For example, if you pay an invoice from a Trust account you will see the payment withdrawn from Trust, and the amount will be listed under Funds Out.
The Total below the listed transactions will tally first the Funds Out, followed by Funds In, followed by Balance of your account. If you have transactions listed across multiple accounts (Operating and Trust) you may see a different balance listed under Client Total.
Separately, in the final portion of the Client Ledger Report you will see a summary of your accounts' current balances.
If my matter is non-billable, will transactions for those matters still display on this report?
If you have any outstanding bills for this matter they will display in this report as long as they have been approved. This will be regardless of whether or not the matter is currently set as billable. If your matter has been selected as non-billable this will mean that you cannot generate a new invoice for this matter from the Billable Clients page under the Bills tab.
What if I only want to manipulate the data in this Report?
When generating a Report in a .CSV format you can have additional options for manipulation as sorting, or removing certain columns or rows. For more information on manipulating .CSV, review the "How do I use the CSV Export" article.