Clio's Client Ledger Report is designed to give firms a detailed view of client trust and operating transactions, including payments, disbursements, and transfers. This report is categorized by client account, date, source/recipient, reference, matter, funds out and in, and balance.
Note: This report is available on all of Clio's plans.
Generate the report
To generate this report:
- In Clio Manage, select Reports in the left navigation menu.
- Click Client or scroll down to Client reports and select Client ledger.
- Choose from several settings within the report options page to get the information you need for your report.
- Select client: select All clients to view data for all firm clients, and select Specific client to view data for a specific client.
- Select practice area: the default setting for sorting by practice area is all practice areas. You also have the option to choose a specific practice area.
Note: If you sort this report by practice area, only data from the client's matters that have practice areas assigned will appear in the report. Learn more about practice areas by taking a look at this article.
- Report options:
- Include opening balance: if you select this option, each client account will include the opening balance.
- Display bank account summary: if you select this option, the report will show a Balance Summary section at the end that displays your account's current balance. If you sort results by specific date range, this section will show an opening balance that summarizes the transactions prior to the selected range and a closing balance that summarizes the account balance at the end of the date range.
- Display matter to matter transfer transactions: if you select this option, the report will show transactions that were transferred between a client's matters or transactions that were transferred from the client level funds to the client's matter. If you do not select this option, the report may show a negative matter balance.
- Show clients with zero balance: if you select this option, the report will show all clients regardless of the balance in their account.
Note: If you sort results by specific date range, selecting this option will help balance your figures since you will see a balance outside of the specified date range. If you select all date ranges and include this option, you will see a $0.00 opening balance to represent the beginning of the ledger.
- Select date range: you can filter your report results by choosing to see data in a specific date range. If a date range is specified, you will see transaction data specific to that date range.
- Output format: you can generate this report as a Web, PDF, or CSV version. The Web report will display in your Clio Manage browser window. Both the PDF and CSV file can be downloaded and printed.
What is a CSV file? A comma-separated values (CSV) file is a plain-text file that contains a list of data separated by commas. You an open a CSV file in almost any text editor or spreadsheet program, such as Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, or Mac's built-in spreadsheet program Numbers.
Click Generate report.
When this report is generated, it will show all transactions under clients and matters.
- Date: this column displays the date that the transaction occurred in the account. Transactions include deposits, withdrawals, and transfer. Transactions that occur on the same day will appear in random order.
- Source/Recipient: this column displays the payment type. This is gathered from the Source/Recipient field in the new transaction window.
- Reference: this column displays data entered in the Reference field in the new transaction window.
- Matter: this column displays the matter that is linked to the transaction.
- Funds Out: this column lists withdrawals or payments from the account.
- Funds In: this column lists payments deposited into the account.
- Balance: this column displays the amount of money left in the account after each listed transaction.
- Client Total: these columns display the tally of Funds Out followed by Funds In. If you have transactions across multiple operating and trust accounts, you may see a different balance.
The PDF and Web versions of the report have a separate Balance Summary section at the bottom of the report. This section lists the current balances of your accounts.
You can sort or remove columns and rows if you generate the report as a CSV, including sorting by matter number. Learn more about filtering and sorting reports in Excel by reading this article.