Clio's Work In Progress Report (WIP) is designed to give firms a detailed view of unbilled activities including activities on Draft/Pending Approval bills. Activities on bills in Awaiting Payment and Paid bills will NOT show up on the Work In Progress Report.
To generate the Report, first click on the Reports tab at the upper right of your page in the black ribbon. Then, scroll to the Client Reports section of Reports, and select Work In Progress.
Within the Report Options page you have several settings you can choose from to get the information you require on your report:
- Select Attorneys: Select to either display only Matters under a specific Responsible Attorney, or select "All Attorneys", which will display Matters regardless of their Responsible Attorney. When creating a Matter, you can select one user in your firm to be the Responsible Attorney. The Report can be filtered by this option and will show all work performed by all users under those specific Matters.
- Select Originating Attorneys: Select to either display only Matters with a specific Originating Attorney, or select "All Attorneys", which will display Matters regardless of their Originating Attorney. When creating a Matter, you can select one user in your firm to be the Originating Attorney. The Report can be filtered by this option and will show all work performed by all users under those specific Matters.
- Select Report Detail (All Clients/Specific Client): Choose if you want to generate the report for all clients, or a specific client. Restricting the report to a single client will ensure that unbilled entries only under your selected client will display, where as restricting the report to All Clients will ensure unbilled entries under all clients and matters will display.
- Group Results: You have the option to group the results displayed on your report by Client, Responsible Attorney, Activity Type, and User. Displaying the results by Client will show details regarding each client and their matters. Selecting to display results by Responsible Attorney will show clients separated into groups under the attorneys assigned to their matters. Grouping results by Activity Type will list Flat Rate, Time, and Expenses in separate groups. Grouping results by User will display Time, Expense, and Flat rate entries under the individual that entered them.
- Add page break after group (PDF format only): When downloading your report as a PDF file you will see page breaks inserted to separate your clients' data.
- Select Practice Area: You have the ability to limit the results on your generated Report to a specific Practice Area, or by default you can select to display all Practice Areas. Do note that if you select to report on a single Practice Area, that all matters you wish to display under your clients will have to have the Practice Area assigned to it. More on Practice Areas can be read in our Managing Practice Areas Support Article.
- Select Date Range: When restricting your date range, this will affect the information that displays in the columns. Restricting your report to a date range will display your billable entries with their activity date as they stand today.
- Select Report Format: You can generate this report in PDF, .CSV, or Web version. The PDF and .CSV are downloadable files, whereas the Web version will only display in your browser. The advantage of a Web format is that it will include hyperlinks to the source of the records on your report.
The generated Work In Progress Report will display unbilled work under your clients' matters.This report can also be generated in a .CSV format. This can be useful if you wish to further filter your report.
Separately you will see totals provided for your clients' matters.
If my matter is non-billable, will entries for those matters still display on this report?
No. If your matter has been selected as non-billable this will mean that you cannot generate a new invoice for this matter from the Billable Clients page from the Bills tab. If you have any unbilled entries for this matter they will display in this report. If the entries have been placed on a Draft invoice (not approved) they will display on this Report. This will be regardless of whether or not the matter is currently set as billable.
Do non-billable time entries show on this report?
No. Non-billable time entries will be excluded from this report.
What if I only want to manipulate the data in this Report?
When generating a Report in a .CSV format you can have additional options for manipulation as sorting, or removing certain columns or rows. For more information on manipulating .CSV, please see our Basic Techniques for Filtering and Sorting Exports in Excel Support Article.