Clio's Work in Progress Report (WiP) is designed to give firms a detailed view of unbilled time and expense activities for all matters, including activities not yet on any bills and activities on bills in draft and bills pending approval. Activities on unpaid, approved bills and paid bills will NOT show up in this report.
Generate the Report
To generate the report:
- In Clio Manage, select Reports in the left navigation menu.
- Click Client or scroll down to Client reports and select Work in progress.
- Choose from several settings within the report options page to get the information you need for your report.
- Select responsible attorney:
- Select All responsible attorneys to see client and matter information for all responsible attorneys at the firm, including matters not assigned to any responsible attorney.
- Select Specific responsible attorney to see client and matter information for a specific responsible attorney.
- Select originating attorney:
- Select All originating attorneys to see client and matter information for all originating attorneys at the firm, including matters not assigned to any originating attorney.
- Select Specific originating attorney to see client and matter information for a specific originating attorney.
- Select client: select All clients to view data for all firm clients or Specific clients to view data for a specific client.
- Select practice area: the default setting for sorting by practice area is All practice areas. You also have the option to choose a Specific practice area.
- Report options:
- Add page break after group (PDF format only): if you select this option, you will see page breaks separating each clients' data when the report is downloaded as a PDF.
- Group results by:
- Selecting Client will group results alphabetically by client last name.
- Selecting Responsible attorney will group results by responsible attorney, with clients and matters appearing in the section below each responsible attorney. Selecting this option will also show a section for any matters that do not have a responsible attorney.
- Selecting Activity type will group results by Flat Rate, Time, and Expense activities.
- Selecting User will group results by the user who entered the activities. Deactivated users will appear in the report.
- Select date range: you can filter your report results by choosing to see activities in a specific date range. Restricting this data will display billable entries with their activity dates as they stand today.
- Output format: you can generate this report as a Web, PDF, or CSV version. The Web report will display in your Clio Manage browser window. Both the PDF and CSV file can be downloaded and printed.
- Select responsible attorney:
- Click Generate report.
When this report is generated, it will show unbilled work for clients with unbilled time and expense activity entries. Unbilled work consists of activities not on any billed, activities on bills in draft, and activities on bills pending approval.
- Date: this column lists the date of the time or expense activity. Activity entries are ordered by date. If there are multiple entires on the same date, they appear in random order.
- User: this column displays the individual assigned as the firm user on the activity entry.
- Description: this column displays the activity category that was selected when the entry was created.
- Note: this column displays the description of the activity that was entered when the entry was created.
- Quantity: this column displays the total number of hours or expenses.
- Price: this column displays the selected rate of the time and expense entries.
- Total: this column displays the total cost of the time and expense entries. This value can be different from the value under Price. For example, if Quantity is listed as 0.50, Price is $500, then Total would be $250. You will also see matter and client totals for each matter.
You can sort or remove columns and rows if you generate the report as a CSV. Learn more about filtering and sorting reports in Excel by reading this article.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I remove an activity from this report?
No, you cannot remove an activity from the report. You will need to make the activity non-billable or remove it from the matter and then run a new report.
Why is the total balance in the PDF/Web report different from the total balance of the CSV report?
The CSV version of the report does not include balances of matters without clients attached to them. This means that at the bottom of the PDF/Web version of the report you would see the No Client section with matter details, but not in the CSV export.
Is there a shorter version of this report that shows only total time and dollar amount by responsible attorney?
Not at this time. For any functionality currently not available for this report, please contact Clio Support to submit a feature request.