Clio's Matter Balance Summary Report is designed to give firms a quick view of outstanding receivables, current billable work in progress, and expenses in progress across matters. This report is categorized by client matter, accounts receivable, work in progress, expenses in progress, and total balance.
Generate the report
To generate this report:
- In Clio Manage, select Reports in the left navigation menu.
- Click Billing or scroll down to Billing reports and select Matter balance summary.
- Choose from several settings within the report options page to get the information you need for your report.
- Select responsible attorney: select All responsible attorneys to view report data for all responsible attorneys at your firm, or select Responsible attorney to view data for a specific responsible attorney at your firm.
- Select client: select All clients to view data for all firm clients, or select Specific client to view data for a specific client.
- Select practice area: the default setting for sorting by practice area is All practice areas. You also have the option to choose a Specific practice area.
- Report options:
- Display client trust balance: if you select this option, the report will include a section for the client trust balance specified in the date range.
- Display matter descriptions: if you select this option, the report will include matter descriptions below each matter name.
- Matter status: select whether you want to show All matters or only matters that are Pending, Open, or Closed.
- Group results by: select Client to categorize results by clients, or select Attorney to categorize results by the responsible attorney on the matter. If you select Attorney, you will also see a section for matters with no responsible attorney assigned.
- Select date range: you can filter your report results by choosing to see data in a specific date range. If a date range is specified, you will see transaction data specific to that date range.
- Output format: you can generate this report as a Web, PDF, or CSV version. The Web report will display in your Clio Manage browser window. Both the PDF and CSV file can be downloaded and printed.
Click Generate report.
When this report is generated, it will show accounts receivable, work in progress, and expenses in progress for each matter. You will also see a summarized total that will take into account all of your clients' matters.
- Matter: this column lists matters. If you group results by client, all of a client's matters will be listed together. If you group results by attorney, a client's matters may be separated depending on the responsible attorney assigned to the matter.
- Accounts Receivable: this column lists outstanding time and expense entry amounts on an approved but unpaid invoice. This is the money that your firm is expecting to receive on open matters. Amounts on a draft invoice will NOT be included in this amount.
- Work In Progress: this column lists time and expense entries
- Expenses In Progress: this column lists the amounts for time and expense entries on unbilled invoices. This includes entries created and placed on bills in draft or bills pending approval.
- Total: this column is the combined total of the Accounts Receivable, Work In Progress, and Expenses In Progress for which your firm expects to receive funds.
You can sort or remove columns and rows if you generate the report as a CSV, including sorting by matter number. Learn more about filtering and sorting reports in Excel by reading this article.