Clio's Matter Balance Summary Report is designed to give firms a snapshot of how much is outstanding in receivables, as well as how much is work in progress, and expenses in progress, on a per-matter or per-client basis.
To generate the Report, first click on the Reports tab at the upper right of your page in the black ribbon. Then, scroll to the Billing Reports section of Reports, and select Matter Balance Summary.
Within the Report Options page you have several settings you can choose from to get the information you require on your report:
- Select Attorneys: Select to either display only Matters under a specific Responsible Attorney, or select to display All Attorneys, which will display Matters regardless of their Responsible Attorney. When creating a Matter you can select one user in your firm to be the Responsible Attorney. The Report can be filtered by this option and will show all work performed by all users under those specific Matters.
- Select Report Detail (All Clients/Specific Client): Choose if you want to generate the report for all clients, or a specific client. Restricting the report to a single client will ensure that only Matters under that client will display on your report.
- Group Results: Grouping your results by client will display your clients alphabetically by last name on your report. Grouping the results by Attorney will instead list your clients and matters under their Responsible Attorney.
- Select Practice Area: You have the ability to limit the results on your generated Report to a specific Practice Area, or by default you can select to display all Practice Areas. Do note that if you select to report on a single Practice Area, that all matters you wish to display will have to have the Practice Area assigned to it. More on Practice Areas can be read here.
- Matter Status: If you would like to limit your Report's data to Pending Matters, Open Matters, or Closed Matters, select the appropriate status within this field.
- Select Date Range: When restricting your date range, this will affect the information that displays in the columns. The Accounts Receivable column is dependent on the Issue Date of your invoices. The Work in Progress column and Expenses in Progress column are not yet placed on an invoice, and as such when the date range is restricted it will represent only those time and expense entries that have been created between your specified dates and will represent their current status. Choose the "Custom" option if you want to determine a specific range outside of the default selection.
- Display Client Trust Balance: To display your Client's Trust balance in addition to the amounts outstanding, check this box.
- Display Matter Descriptions: To display your Matters' Descriptions in addition to the Matter names, check this box.
- Select Report Format: You can generate this report in PDF, .CSV, or Web version. The PDF and .CSV are downloadable files, whereas the Web version will only display in your browser. The advantage of a Web format is that it will include hyperlinks to the source of the records on your report.
The generated Matter Balance Summary Report will display Accounts Receivable, Work in Progress, and Expenses in Progress for each of your Clients' Matters. You will also see a summarized total that will take into account all of your Clients' Matters, and your Client Trust Balance should you select to display this option.
This report can also be generated in a .CSV format. This can be useful if you wish to further filter your report.
Accounts Receivable will display outstanding time and expense entry amounts that have been placed on an approved invoice that has not yet been paid. This is money that your firm is expecting to receive on. If the entries are placed on a draft invoice they will not be included as Accounts Receivable.
Work In Progress and Expenses in Progress
Time and Expense entries will be represented underneath these columns if they have not yet been placed on an approved invoice. This includes any entries created and placed on a draft/pending approval invoice.
If my matter is non-billable, will outstanding amounts still display on this report?
If you have any outstanding bills for this matter, they will display on the Accounts Receivable column, and any entries that have not yet been placed on an approved invoice will fall under the subsequent columns. If your matter has been selected as non-billable this will mean that you cannot generate a new invoice for this matter from the Billable Clients page under the Bills tab.
Does non-billable time entry show on this report?
They will not, non-billable time entries will be excluded from this report.
What if I only want to manipulate the data in this report?
When generating a Report in a .CSV format you can have additional options for manipulation as sorting, or removing certain columns or rows. For more information on manipulating .CSV, please see our Support Article on How to use the CSV Export.
Are Paid Bills included on the Report?
Paid Bills are not included on the Report, even if they were paid outside of the date range used.