Clio's Billing History Report is designed to give firms a detailed view of bills that are open, paid, and past due. This report is categorized by client and matter, invoice number, invoice status, invoice due date, amount owed, payments made, credit notes, and balance.
Generate the report
To generate this report:
- In Clio Manage, select Reports in the left navigation menu.
- Click Billing or scroll down to Billing reports and select Billing history.
- Choose from several settings within the report options page to get the information you need for your report.
- Select responsible attorney: select All responsible attorneys to see report data for all responsible attorneys at your firm, or select Specific attorney to see data for a specific attorney at your firm.
- Select client: select All clients to view data for all firm clients, and Specific client to view data for a specific client. Clients and matters will be sorted alphabetically by last name and invoices will appear in ascending numerical order for each client.
- Select practice area: the default setting for sorting by practice area is All practice areas. You also have the option to choose a Specific practice area.
- Group results by: select Client to categorize results by clients, or select Attorney to categorize results by the responsible attorney on the matter. If you select Attorney, you will also see a section for matters with no responsible attorney assigned.
- Select date range: you can filter your report results by choosing to see data in a specific date range. If a date range is specified, you will see billing history specific to that date range. Invoices adhere to the date they were issued.
- Output format: you can generate this report as a Web, PDF, or CSV version. The Web report will display in your Clio Manage browser window. Both the PDF and CSV file can be downloaded and printed.
Click Generate report.
When this report is generated, it will show approved bills, bills that are past due, and bills that have been paid.
- Invoice #: this column lists invoice numbers for all bills that are outstanding, past due, or paid.
- Status: this column shows whether a bill is outstanding, past due, or paid. An invoice is paid when a full payment has been received. Open invoices are approved bills that are not outside of their grace period and have not received full payments. Past due invoices have aged outside of their specified grace period and have not received full payments.
- Due Date: this column lists the invoice due date.
- Amount: this column displays the original invoice total for each bill or interest charge.
- Payments: this column displays bill payments and interest charges from direct payment or payments recorded from operating or trust accounts.
- Credit Notes: this column displays amounts written off on invoices by using the credit notes tool on the bill.
- Balance: this column displays the dollar amount that is outstanding on the invoice or interest charge. This is the amount that still needs to be paid.
- Matter/Client Total: matter total summarize the amounts that are outstanding for the matter. Client total displays the amount owed for interest and original invoice total across each of a client's matters.
You can sort or remove columns and rows if you generate the report as a CSV, including sorting by matter number. Learn more about filtering and sorting reports in Excel by reading this article.