In Clio you can determine each Matter’s individual email maildrop address. This can be useful for forwarding communications to individual Matters. There may be times when you want to have access to Maildrop addresses across all Matters. Within Clio, you can ultimately download this information in a .csv file (Excel compatible spreadsheet). Then, you can import your Matters (as contacts) to your preferred email client (Gmail, Outlook, etc.) so that you can quickly file communications to your Matters.
For example, let's say you are working in a Matter with the description "00039 - Vincent v. General Hospital". When corresponding with your client via email, you would add the contact "00039 - Vincent v. General Hospital" to the Bcc field and the email would be automatically added to the communications subtab of that Matter.
This article will cover:
- How to generate a list of Matter Maildrop email addresses
- How to format the list so that it can be imported to your email client
Exporting Matter Maildrop Addresses
To generate our list of Matter Maildrop email addresses, we are going to both pull information from Clio and use excel formulas to get the final product. Within Clio, each Maildrop address is built with information that is the same across all your Matters, and information that is unique to each Matter:
1. First, go to the Matters tab at the top of your page. From here, click on “Export”.
2. Choose "CSV" for Output format and "Available columns". This will give you the details you need regarding your Matters.
Then, click "Export":
3. Once the file is created, you will be able to find it in your computer's Downloads folder.
On the far left, you will see a field named "Uniqueid". This is the field we will be working with. Add one column to the left and one to the right:
For steps on adding Columns, Rows, and Cells in Excel, see this article.
4. Now, go to Clio and open up any existing Matter and then go to the Communications tab.
Next, click on "Email Communications to this Matter". Here you see the Maildrop for this individual Matter. Copy the text per this image specifically. What we are trying to get is your Clio account's special global inbox id (alphanumeric) and the "+matter":
5. Go to your .csv download and paste that into the A2 field:
6. In the A3 field, right click and go to Format Cells:
7. Choose "Text" in the left hand column and then "Ok":
8. In the A3 field type @maildrop.clio.com if you are located in NA or @maildrop.clio.eu if you are located in Europe
9. Go to cell C2 and enter this formula: =CONCATENATE($A$2,B2,$A$3) After you hit enter the result will look like this:
Note: The $ are in place as the fields A2 and A3 don't change. Only the Unique Ids in column B change.
10. Double click the bottom right corner of the field (or drag it down) to copy it to all rows:
The end result will look like this:
Now you have the individual Matter ID for every Matter.
Double check your work:
To double check, choose one of the line items and make note of the Matter Number:
Open that Matter in Clio and go to the Maildrop for that Matter. Compare them side by side to ensure that they are exactly the same:
Once you have created the list of Maildrop email addresses, you can put it into a format where it can be imported into your email client (Gmail, Outlook, etc.). To do so, leave the Maildrop list open in excel, and then download this excel template and open it. This will give you two open excel documents: the Matter Maildrop list and the contact import template.
In the Matter Maildrop list, select all of the rows (except the heading row) in the column containing all of your Matter Maildrop emails. Then right click inside the column and select "Copy".
In the contact import template, navigate to the "E-mail Address" column (column BN). Right click row two of the column and select "Paste Special".
Select "Values" and then click "OK" to paste the Matter Maildrop email addresses into the "E-mail Address" column in the contact import template.
Next, in the Matter Maildrop list, select all of the rows (except the heading row) in the "DisplayNumber" column. Then right click inside the column and select "Copy".
Next, in the contact import template, right click row two of the "Company" column (column G) and click "Paste".
Now that the "Company" and "E-mail Address" columns in the contact import template are populated with the Clio information, save the document. It is ready to be imported into your email client.
For information on importing the your Maildrop emails into your email client, see these program-specific resources: