Clio's Trust Ledger Report is designed to give firms a detailed view of clients' and matters' transactions across Clio specifically within Trust accounts.
To generate the Report, first click on the Reports tab on the left-hand side column (just below 'Communications'). Then, scroll to the Client Reports section of Reports, and select Trust Ledger Report.
Within the Report Options page you have several settings you can choose from to get the information you require on your report:
- Trust Accounts: Selecting All Accounts will ensure that all Trust Accounts and their transactions display. If Specific Account is selected, one Trust Account and its transactions will display on the report.
- Show Clients with a zero balance: Selecting this option will display all clients on your report regardless of the account balance amount for the selected time period
Note: With this option deselected, the Web/PDF versions of this report exclude clients whose cumulative account balances sum to $0, whereas the CSV version excludes each account with a zero balance.
- Select Report Detail (All Clients/Specific Client): Choose if you want to generate the report for all clients, or a specific client. Restricting the report to a single client will ensure that Transactions under your selected client will display, where as restricting the report to All Clients will ensure Transactions under all clients and matters will display.
- Select Practice Area: You have the ability to limit the results on your generated Report to a specific Practice Area, or by default you can select to display all Practice Areas. Do note that if you select to report on a single Practice Area, that all matters you wish to display under your clients will have to have the Practice Area assigned to it. More on Practice Areas can be read on our Managing Practice Areas Support Article.
- Select Date Range: When restricting your date range, this will affect the information that displays in the columns. Transactions that appear will have been logged between the dates that are specified. Choose the "Custom" option if you want to determine a specific range outside of the default selection.
- Breakdown Detail Level: By default the report will generate with the Breakdown Level set to Client. This means that all matters' transactions will display in chronological order and a total Client balance will display. Switching the Breakdown Level to Matter will instead group matters together and show transactions in a chronological order. This is in addition to a client balance.
- Include Opening Balance: Use of this option is recommended, and particularly useful if there is a Date Range selected. If you opt to include the Opening Balance when restricting your date range, it will carry over the balance from outside of your specified range to assist in balancing your figures. If you do not select to include the Opening Balance, your view will be restricted to only display Transactions logged between your specified dates. Opting to include an Opening Balance without a date restriction will cause the Opening Balance to display as zero dollars as this is the beginning of the ledger. The running and closing account balances shown on the report are calculated based on the opening balance option you choose.
- Display Bank Account Summary: Including the Bank Account Summary will display your bank account's current balance. If you select a date range when generating this report your Opening Balance will display a summary of your transactions prior to the range you have selected, and your Closing Balance will be your account's current balance as of the end of the range selected.
- Display Matter to Matter Transfer Transaction: Matter to Matter Transfers are funds moving within the same Client account between Matter Balances, or to the Client balance. These Transfers could be to correct for a balance, or to make funds available for a different matter. You can opt to include these transfers, but by default they will not display.
- Select Report Format: You can generate this report in PDF, .CSV, or Web version. The PDF and .CSV are downloadable files, whereas the Web version will only display in your browser. The advantage of a Web format is that it will include hyperlinks to the source of the records on your report.
The generated Trust Ledger Report will display all full and partial payments applied to invoices from Trust Accounts. You will also see Transfers and Deposits.
This report can also be generated in a .CSV format. This can be useful if you wish to further filter your report.
The Matter column references the matter that the transaction is attached to. If you pay an invoice under your clients' matter, the matter ID will be attached to the transaction and displayed on this report.
The Funds Out column references funds withdrawn from the Trust account. For example, if you pay an invoice from a Trust account you will see the payment withdrawn from Trust, and the amount will be listed under Funds Out.
The Funds In column displays transactions deposited into the account. For example, if a transaction is deposited into a Trust account, you will see that amount of funds listed under the Funds In column.
The Totals will tally first the Funds Out, followed by Funds In, followed by Balance of your account. If you have transactions that are not linked to a client or matter this may account for discrepancies between your report total and your account total.
Separately, in the final portion of the Client Ledger Report you will see a summary of your accounts' current balances.
If my matter is non-billable, will transactions for those matters still display on this report?
If your matter has been selected as non-billable this will mean that you cannot generate a new invoice for this matter from the Billable Clients page under the Bills tab. If you have any outstanding bills for this matter they will display in this report as long as they have been approved. This will be regardless of whether or not the matter is currently set as billable.
What if I only want to manipulate the data in this Report?
When generating a Report in a .CSV format you can have additional options for manipulation as sorting, or removing certain columns or rows. For more information on manipulating .CSV, please see our Sorting and Filtering Exports in Excel Support Article.
What do I do if my Report total does not reflect my Accounts total?
Go to your Accounts page and select the appropriate Trust account. Click on the column header "Matter" or "Client" which will sort to show any transactions that have no Client or Matter attached. These are floating balances that will not get accounted for in the Trust Ledger Report.
Why do I see more transactions in the web/PDF Report compared to the CSV?
Even if you check the box to include outstanding balances on the Report before generating, only the Transactions will be visible on the CSV Export, and outstanding balances will not be included.
Why do I see more Clients in the web/PDF Report compared to the CSV?
Even if you check the box to show clients with zero balances on the Report before generating, only the Transactions will be visible on the CSV Export, and Client with zero balance during a given date range will not be included.
Note also that with this option selected, the Web/PDF versions of this report exclude clients whose cumulative account balances sum to $0, whereas the CSV version excludes each account with a zero balance.