Clio's Matter Report is designed to give firms a detailed breakdown of clients and matters. This report is categorized by client name, matter, matter description, practice area, status of the matter, responsible attorney, originating attorney, whether the matter is billable, accounts receivable and the latest bill date.
Generate the report
To generate the report:
- In Clio Manage, select Reports in the left navigation menu.
- Click Matter or scroll down to Matter reports and select Matters.
- Choose from several settings within the report options page to get the information you need for your report.
- Select responsible attorney:
- Select All Responsible Attorneys to see client and matter information for all responsible attorneys at the firm, including matters not assigned to any responsible attorney.
- Select Specific responsible attorney to see client and matter information for a specific responsible attorney at your firm.
- Select originating attorney:
- Select All originating attorneys to see client and matter information for all originating attorneys at the firm, including matters not assigned to any originating attorney.
- Select Specific originating attorney to see client and matter information for a specific originating attorney.
- Select client: select All clients to see data for all clients at your firm, or select Specific clients to see data for a single client.
- Select practice area: the default setting for sorting by practice area is All practice areas. You also have the option to choose a Specific practice area.
- Matter status: select whether you want to show All matters or only matters that are Pending, Open, or Closed.
- Group results by:
- Selecting Client will group results alphabetically by client last name.
- Selecting Practice area will group results by assigned practice area, with clients appearing in the section below their assigned practice area.
- Selecting Attorney will group results by attorney, with clients appearing in the section below each responsible attorney.
- Selecting Originating attorney will group results by originating attorney, with clients appearing in the section below each originating attorney.
- Select date range: you can filter your report results by choosing to see matters created in a specific date range. Restricting this data will affect accounts receivable data.
- Output format: you can generate this report as a Web, PDF, or CSV version. The Web report will display in your Clio Manage browser window. Both the PDF and CSV file can be downloaded and printed.
- Select responsible attorney:
- Click Generate report.
When this report is generated, it will show clients, matters, and specific matter information.
- Client: this column displays the name of the client attached to the matter and is sorted alphabetically by client last name.
- Matter: this column displays each matter's name as designated in the Matter Numbering page in your Settings. Learn more about Matter Numbering in Clio by reading this article.
- Description: this column displays each matter's description. The description is manually typed in when creating or editing a matter.
- Practice Area: this column displays the practice area if it has been assigned.
- Status: this column displays the matter's current status, which could be closed, open, or pending. Learn more about closing matters by reading this article.
- Responsible Attorney: this column displays the firm user currently responsible for the matter.
- Originating Attorney: this column displays the firm user that was selected as the originating attorney on the matter.
- Billable: this column displays whether the matter is billable or non-billable. Learn more about the billing status by reading this comprehensive billing guide.
- Accounts Receivable: this column displays the amount currently owed on an outstanding approved invoice.
- Latest Bill: this column displays the date that the last invoice was issued.
You can sort or remove columns and rows if you generate the report as a CSV. Learn more about filtering and sorting reports in Excel by reading this article.